Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compatibility for dev and stable environment?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:03 PM

So i've currently got Win8 running as dual boot with my Windows 7 installation. I'm working on any dev projects but it is becoming a hassle to keep switching back and forth. Anyways i'm using my laptop for this because i can transport it between work and home...and because now that i got a new dell laptop it's faster than my desktop (i7 2.2ghz 8gb ram 250gb ssd).

Now that network kernel debugging in Win8 I have been using it a lot more for testing as well
http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/HW-98P

I've only been using it for a few days now so i haven't had a chance to go through the entire system as much as someone else on here may have been able to.

Anyways now i'm starting to have an issue with hard drive space because i'm using a solid state drive, so I was thinking about starting fresh with only a windows 8 dev OS installed, i'll have ubuntu and an XP VM but i don't think i should have problems with that, i'm just looking at getting rid of Win7 and using Win8 as my daily driver.

So my question is has anybody experienced any problems with Win8 environment and running any of your Win7 apps? I've tested a good few of my most frequently used apps and haven't found any problems, i'm just afraid that when i do make the switch i'm going to end up finding issues. It looks as though Win8 is heavily based off Win7 so i'm hoping compatibility is as close as Vista->Win7 was (for the most part haha).

What do you guys think, should I just wipe and keep my Win7/Win8 dual boot installation? Do you think Win8 could support being a daily driver?

Any comments, thoughts, ideas, are greatly appreciated. I look forward to rebuilding this weekend!
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:29 AM

Personally, I would not make Windows 8 my production computer. So many things will change and you are going to have bugs. I know I have while testing on a live box.

If you need it for development, you are better off using vbox or vmware.

#3 tripflex

tripflex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I actually decided on going that route yesterday. Due to licensing issues I didn't even think about it but I run a web hosting company that has about 3 racks in a local DC, since there are no licensing issues with Win8 dev I can setup a VE on one of my servers and access it from anywhere with DC speed connection! I can't believe i didn't even think about it before!!

Thanks for the reply anyways, you're right things will be changing and not sure that i want my daily driver having instability especially since i use it daily for PHP dev and that would piss me off if i forget to sync my zend server with remote server and end up getting a BSOD or something.

On another note Win8 does look good and i'm really excited about where MS may be going from here, i'm really impressed they went without requiring activation for the dev version of Windows 8, big step towards hopefully something good.
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users