Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apache vows to develop, protect OpenOffice

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:51 PM

The Apache Software Foundation issued a statement today officially naming the open source project Apache OpenOffice.org and emphasizing to naysayers that it will continue to develop the open source office suite and prevent fragmentation.

Full article here: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/apache-vows-to-develop-protect-openoffice/9752

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:47 PM

Can we say confusing and dilution of knowledge and resources? So we have Oracle and their ownership of OpenOffice. We have the splinter group LibreOffice. And now Apache joining forces with somebody I'm not clear on and yet another OpenOffice. Looks like they are making it easy and dividing on their own. MS doesn't need to do that themselves to conquer.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

And now Apache joining forces with somebody I'm not clear on and yet another OpenOffice.

Actually...

Oracle donated OpenOffice to the ASF in June.

When the OpenOffice folks split, most went to LibreOffice (which I support, btw), and Oracle was left high-and-dry, so to speak...so they just shoved it off on somebody else (Apache, unfortunately).

OpenOffice should have just died right there, if you ask me. I think Apache is making a mistake trying to keep it alive.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,841 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for the clarification. Still seems a waste like you said.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:21 PM

I'll probably be sticking with LibreOffice. ASF is a great group with lots of smart people, and I have no doubt that they'll do better than Oracle at curating OpenOffice, but the vast majority of experienced OpenOffice devs joined LibreOffice, so I tend to think LibreOffice will be the more complete suite. Perhaps ASF and The Document Foundation can collaborate on a single product?

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

:)

Perhaps ASF and The Document Foundation can collaborate on a single product?

It's doubtful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users