Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Updates from SP3

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CCSTech

CCSTech

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:09 PM

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum, my name is Justin. I'm a computer technician for a small-town computer repair shop and I wanted to inquire with some experts on this site for some information. So here goes...

On a daily basis, I am tasked with formatting and reinstalling Windows XP on customer machines. We try maintain same-day service so a big aspect of my job is to be quick. But one thing that slows me down each and every time is completing windows updates. So my question is, is there a way to create an install pack with Windows Updates that start at SP3? That way, when it's time to do updates on the machine I'm working on, I can just pop in a disk or pull an executable from my server, and all the updates from the start of SP3 until the time of the creation on the executable file are complete and I would only have to install the newest updates afterwards.

If anyone has accomplished this or has any idea how I could go about obtaining something like this, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:20 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I too am faced with the same problem.
It would save me considerable time as well.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 CCSTech

CCSTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:25 PM

To me it seems like something that wouldn't be particularly that hard so long as you could get a hold of stand-alone copies of each update and then write some code that tells the computer when to install them. I wish Microsoft would create something like this for techs.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:05 PM

Of course not, that would make things too easy!

A friend of mine is working on this & others may have some ideas as well.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:41 PM

is there a way to create an install pack with Windows Updates that start at SP3?

Hi-
I have had that same problem also, but when you reinstall or reformat, the Updates look for any missing items that were not included.
A recovery CD from the same computer that is being worked on (after SP3) can help, but I have not found a better way yet.

Of course you don't keep a recovery CD for all the computers you work on when they were OK, so this makes it not a feasible option ! !

Keep us posted Eyesee if there is any development on newer ideas :)

#6 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:53 PM

The answer is here at my site:http://xdot.tk/updates.html

Make a fully up to date Windows XP disk so that when you visit WU after install nothing shows.

Edited by .X., 14 October 2011 - 06:55 PM.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:56 PM

Thanks .X. I will check it out on monday

The only thing I dont like about doing it this way is I prefer to get device manager squared away will all the correct drivers before doing anything else. Maybe that just comes from me being old school.

It appears that your way will work so long as the NIC drivers are installed right?

#8 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:19 PM

You make an up to date CD in advance and then install Windows.

You want to setup Windows first and then do the updates?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users