Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU maxing out at 100%

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Angel Rodriquez

Angel Rodriquez

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:38 PM

I have tried several things to help aid my computer but can't get it to run any quicker.

It is usually (for the most part) fine, but when I begin to use web browsers, it is not uncommon for my CPU to max out at 100%. It's more prone to do this when I use Tweetdeck. Both the browser and the application will use huge amounts of resources.

Opening a program like uTorrent makes it impossible to navigate the web.

I have run antivirus programs, defragmented, etc and even went so far as to install an OS package that would (supposedly) help with speeds.

The package I installed was: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

The only thing this package seemed to do was greatly limit my uTorrent speeds.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:28 PM

SP3...is a critical update. It is not an O/S but it it (and every other critical update) is a key part of installing/using Windows XP and maintaining a minimum level of security regarding malware.

I don't use torrent programs...but my opinion is that use of such increases the possibility of malware from unreliable or malevolent sources.

I'll move this to Am I Infected, where the more knowledgeable can take a deeper look at your system. In the event that you have no malware issues, someone will move your topic back here or it will be suggested that you initiate a new one.

Louis

#3 Angel Rodriquez

Angel Rodriquez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:29 PM

OK, well I have recently cleaned out my computer quite thoroughly running programs like ComboFix, HiJack This, and Malwarebytes, as recommended by another forum guide. My computer is pretty much free of malware, but it still has issues when I run programs that include browsers or Tweetdeck. Anything the uses the internet has a tendency to max out my CPU and scripts on pages often have to be stopped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users