Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HD lost connection

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Calum

Calum

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:29 AM

I'm not having a great time at the moment with my computer. Last night, it lost connection with my external hard drive. Even though the USB cable is still plugged in, there is no recognition of the drive in "my computer".

Then all the progammes on my computer kept freezing and I had to switch it off. However, my computer had problems starting up again. It wasn't until I unplugged the USB cable leading to my external HD that my computer managed to operate properly again without freezing. I also notice a soft clicking sound coming from the external HD when it is plugged in, but stops when I unplug it. I don't know if this has any relevance.

I have tried it in different USB points on my computer, but still there is no recognition of the external HD. Do you think there is a problem with the USB connection cable? If I have to uninstall anything, can someone give me advice on how to do that? Any help would be appreciated.

My computer runs on Windows XP.

P.S. I thought I would add that I installed a programme called Silverlight to allow me to watch satellite television on my computer, which was not long before the problems with my external drive began. Could Silverlight have affected my external hard drive?

Edited by Calum, 14 October 2011 - 06:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:48 PM

My camera USB connects to my computer alright, so there isn't a problem with the USB points. When I connect the external HDD lead, my computer slows down and freezes with no recognition of the external HDD. Is it worth trying to connect it to another computer? I think the fault lies either with the connection lead or the external HDD itself. Should I buy a replacement connection lead and hope it works? If it still doesn't work with a new connection lead, it looks like I won't be able to use it anymore. Unless anyone has any suggestions.

Edited by Calum, 18 October 2011 - 05:48 PM.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:25 PM

Your idea of situating to another computer would give something more of an explanation. Is it a internal drive on enclosure/adaptors or the portable drives? The one time this came to me I notice of a clicking sound and not recognized but the HD led light "flickers". Suspect of either the USB port or generic cable, I tried it on another machine and it was running fine(sometimes intermittent) using the same usb cables. If there is a clicking sound and the light is steady, the situation is different for your drive must be shut already. However, you must try it on another system first.
Posted Image
Happen to have this Dual USB Data cables and they are reliable.

Edited by jhayz, 18 October 2011 - 07:26 PM.

Tekken

#4 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:05 PM

I have taken a picture of it to make it clearer. There is a gentle clicking sound and 2 lights flicker steadily on and off beside the connection leads. I can't reach another computer until tomorrow evening, so I'll try it then. As my camera works when connected, I don't think the problem lies with my computer. If it doesn't work on the other computer, what would be the next step?

Posted Image

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:22 PM

The only possible steps in your case is first try it on another PC with same cable either with power adapter or by USB powered. I assume both power adapter and USB is available for that portable drive. My portable drive is only USB powered(Cable is on attachment pix) and has only one light that flickered. So most probably the 2 lights are for HD activity and Power. The clicking sound I heard are on the flickering light and when I physically hold the portable drive on my hand is the platter is slow spinning. When I use both USB cable/ 2 USB ports on the drive, it booths normally, the light is steady and spins faster. Sometimes I can use just one USB port and the drive is recognized. If your drive is powered only by AC adapter, then you should look or borrow another one of same output.

Tekken

#6 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:31 AM

It is powered only by the AC adapter. The USB cable is used only to connect the external HDD to my computer. So the fault could lie with either cable? And is there a possibility the drive itself is damaged and all data will be unrecoverable?

#7 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:39 PM

I have tried it out on another computer and it doesn't work. I also tried it with another USB cable without success. The fault looks like it is definitely with the external HDD itself. Is there anything else I can do? Is that the end of my external HDD?

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:03 PM

I cannot make any recommendation on how you can recover files from your drive. Without that much option I guess the drive is definitely a goner. But I am still looking on a possibility of the power adapter is at fault by chance.

Tekken

#9 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:56 AM

When I plug in the power adaptor, the light of the external HDD comes on. If the adaptor was faulty, surely the light wouldn't come on? On my computer, the light flashes on and off, but on the other computer it stays on without flashing, but still doesn't work. I assume it's not meant to flash?

Edited by Calum, 21 October 2011 - 04:58 AM.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:54 AM

On my computer, the light flashes on and off, but on the other computer it stays on without flashing, but still doesn't work.

Could be faulty or not providing enough power. There are universal AC adapters you could try just match the description or voltage output from the drive's original adapter. Its a trial and error at this point. Maybe just borrow one from someone you know.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users