Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer powers up but I get no Image

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 skanarky

skanarky

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:31 AM

Hello everyone, I have a vague problem unfortunately.

My computer was in storage for 4 months, and as I can tell it has taken no damage. That being said, it is possible it could have been josstled or bumped a bit.

When I power up the computer, all the fans spin and the computer runs, but I get no image on the monitor. I have checked with an additional monitor that I can confirm works and I still get no picture. I opened the computer and assured that all components are plugged in properly to the best of my ability (if a cord has come loose, it isn't a power cord, because as far as I can tell all the components seem to be running).

I know that usually the bios causes the computer to beep when the computer is booting up, but I can't remember if A) my computer ever did that, or B) if it is customary for all computers to do that. Either way, my computer does not. I also used compressed air to clean off the video card and the general computer itself, as the fans were getting dusty. It didn't fix the problem.

Is there a way to somehow determine if a certain component is malfunctioning?

Anyway, any advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated.
Thank you very much for the time and effort.

*forgot, its a windows 7 64bit PC with a quad core intel chip (the last quad core before the icores I think). The video card is an AMD 512mb 4XXX series card (4850 I think).

Edited by skanarky, 14 October 2011 - 03:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:58 AM

Do you see any hardware lights from hard drive indicating it is trying or seeking to booth? Usually flickering. Any beeps during POST? Make sure there are no external devices attached or CDs on tray. If nothing happens, unplugged power plug and hold side casing to release static before opening the tower. Unplugged cables, connections, and reseat RAM or Video card. Much better if you clean and look for any dust or moist from storage placement. Remove also CMOS battery while cleaning the PC. Check all parts are well seated or firmly in place or slots. Use the known monitor and cable that works on another computer.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users