Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need more help

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 kxar

kxar

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:33 PM

Recently I was helped on this sight when I asked for help with a Hijack This log. There were al kinds of problems and solutions, but I'm right back here again. I still have a very slow computer and I'm getting kicked off the internet. YYou can check my last topic thread here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic418982.html/page__st__60__gopid__2432823

I need some more help.

kxar

Edited by Orange Blossom, 13 October 2011 - 11:35 PM.
Moved to Vista forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:17 AM

Okay, please describe exactly what you mean by "slow computer" and tell us how and when you are kicked off the internet. Please describe the problem(s) IN DETAIL.

Also, what is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#3 kxar

kxar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:33 PM

By slow I mean when I click to go a a page the computer will sometimes read (not resonding) then it will take 10 - 45 secs too get to that page. The screen will freeze-up and nothing will work. I get kicked off the internet all the time. Anything (poker sites / TV sites) streaming will get interupted. My modem will usually have at least three blinking green lights - power / ethernet / dsl and the internet light is also green. I'll lose the flashing green 'activity' light and the solid internet light and sometimes the dsl light goes red. It'll take about 2 - 5 mins to re-establish a connection.

I was working with Gringo and he instructed me to turn off AVG to download a cleaner. The next day I started having trouble getting kicked off the internet. I originally wanted someone to read a Hijack This log cause my computer was slow, but now I got other probs and its slower than ever.

For what its worth MS Word acts funny. When I close it and save something it reads "Disk is full" No other probs with other programs other tan slow.

Please help. Thanks

kxar

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:38 PM

So you're saying it's the Internet that is slow, not the computer - is that correct?

#5 kxar

kxar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:16 AM

I'm not sure how to answer that. I'm always on the internet when I'm on the computer. I can't make that distinction.

kxar

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

Either everything opens and runs slowly or only the internet pages open slowly. Let's start by trying a different browser - see how things work.

#7 kxar

kxar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:20 PM

I'm having trouble with all pages. Internet and otherwise.

kxar

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

Okay, your post is confusing. What do you mean "all pages, internet and otherwise"?

#9 kxar

kxar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:39 AM

I'm having trouble with pages when I am on the internet and having trouble with pages when I am not on the internet.

kxar

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:27 PM

I don't know what you mean by "pages" when you are not on the internet.

#11 kxar

kxar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:46 PM

Pages = programs. I.E. MS Word / GIMP / Media Player etc.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:09 PM

If it's BOTH programs AND the internet the I still think you've got a malware problem. However, let's make sure it isn't a hardware issue:

1) To check the ram, download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

2) To run checkdisk, right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

Edited by Allan, 16 October 2011 - 03:16 PM.

#13 kxar

kxar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:15 PM

What is a General Tab and where do I find it?

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:17 PM

Please disregard my previous post. I've edited it. See above.

#15 kxar

kxar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:44 AM

Your (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm) wants me to buy the software. I just don't have an extra $29.95 lying around for this. Can we do this another way?

kxar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users