Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Adobe flash in Puppy

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 johndepere

johndepere

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

Hello, I am very new to linux and have been using Puppy 5.2.8. Can anyone walk me through the step to install the Adobe flash player? I have searched for help on this topic but don't understand how to install it. Thanks in advace for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:11 AM

hi johndepere

Flash is usually automatically installed when you first boot lucid puppy 528. If for some reason this hasn't happened, look in the menu/internet for 'getflash install/update flash player'

If it's not there, install these two 528 updates then look again in menu/internet. it should now be there.

1. http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-5.2.8/Instant_Update-Lucid528-001.pet
2. http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/test03_Instant_Update-Lucid528-002.pet

#3 johndepere

johndepere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:18 PM

Thank you for your help. The Get flash loader? was not in the menu/Internet tab, so I followed your directions and all is well now. Thank you very much again. John

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,080 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:20 AM

Update. As some of the flash updaters do not work.

Can anyone walk me through the step to install the Adobe flash player?

Go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Download the .tar.gz for other Linux.

Extract the file and copy the libflashplayer.so to usr/lib/mozila/plugins and overwrite the old file.

Edited by NickAu1, 22 March 2014 - 04:21 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 Tahrpup

Tahrpup

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:42 PM

Update. As some of the flash updaters do not work.

Can anyone walk me through the step to install the Adobe flash player?

Go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Download the .tar.gz for other Linux.

Extract the file and copy the libflashplayer.so to usr/lib/mozila/plugins and overwrite the old file.

Hi, I know this is old but I registered just so I could thank you. My Getflash option doesn't work, so I tried your solution and it worked :)

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:26 PM

Hi Tahrpup and :welcome: to BC and to the Linux & Unix section.

NickAu, Al1000, Mike_Walsh, vacuum-tube, and rozzer are just a handful of Puppy enthusiasts we have in our ranks, so if you woof, you will likely be well looked after.

Enjoy your time here.

:wizardball: Wizard

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,080 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:52 PM

Hi Tahrpup and :welcome: to BC and to the Linux & Unix section. :thumbup2:

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:42 PM

Hi, Tahrpup. Welcome to the BC 'Linux gang..!'

I don't know if you frequent the Puppy Linux forums? Aside from the fact that Nick's advice is the best way to do things manually, OscarTalks' keeps his FlashPlayer .pet regularly updated in his section of Smokey's repository:-

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/

Once you've got it up-to-date, you may be interested in Geoffrey's Flash Auto-updater. Geoff's written a script that checks the available current download from Adobe, compares it to the installed version, and if the installed version is older, it downloads and automatically installs the new version.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100523

1.5 is the current version, recently updated due to a cock-up at Adobe's end; the download wasn't being correctly detected. I've been using this for over a year, and it works really well, too. The first time you run this from Menu>Internet>Update Flash, there's a checkbox which asks if you want it to run at Startup; if you do, tick it, and the script is sym-linked into /root/Startup, and will run every time you boot Puppy..!

If there is a new version available when you boot, it'll show up on the desktop, informing you of the fact, and all you need to do is click on 'Install', and it's taken care of for you. This was only developed a little over a year ago, so it wasn't around when this thread was begun. Geoff's an absolute genius with this kind of thing; we're very lucky to have him. He's been involved in the development of at least half-a-dozen 'Pups' that I know of, and has written tons of apps & utilities for Pup during his 5 years or so on the forum...several of which are now standard on many of the newer Puppy releases. No 'anonymous' developers for us; we know them all personally..!

Takes all the hassle out of keeping the darn thing up-to-date.....  :thumbup2: We do like to do things properly with Pup..!  :P

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 08 October 2016 - 08:13 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#9 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:58 PM

My bad

NickAu, Al1000, Mike_Walsh, vacuum-tube, and rozzer  rufwoof are just a handful of Puppy enthusiasts we have in our ranks

Seeing Mike's post jogged my memory

:wizardball: Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users