Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Home Edition not booting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:36 PM

when cold booting, screen comes on, and screen stops with the options:

boot in:

safe mode;
safe mode with networking;
boot in last known configuration that worked
or:
run in normal windows.

I tried each of the above selections, and each one runs their normal course, then screen goes blank and
starts the above process all over again. On the one selection, where I selected "run in normal windows", it actually went into the Windows screen with the horizontal timing bar and then 1/2 the screen would go blue for approximately 1/4 sec, and then it would start the reboot process all over again. I attempted to hit the pause/break button many many times to acquire the error/source code of the problem, but was unable to do so.

Next, I attempted to load my system disk into the dvd drive, and was able to get to the D: drive and it does read the D drive and the directory. So, I need assistance on what to do next with regards to fixing my problem. I think it may have something to do with a possible boot sector problem, or it could be something else. It may be possible that my daughter may have a acquired a virus on it sometime during the day today, because it was running fine as of last night.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
hYlAnDeR~TFC~
[OF/FA] Orion Faction-Retired
Game Squad Fleet Admiral~Retired

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:59 PM

Found the help command from the D: winnt disk and found chkdsk command. Ran C://chkdsk and it found 1 error, recovered/repaired same and rebooted.

All appears to be running ok now, still trying to run various programs and internet IE to see how system performs. All appears to run ok there too. Did not find any compromised infiltrations from Zone Alarm firewall. Running full scan SuperAntiSpyware now to determine if any viruses found or in the boot sector.

However, still acquire assistance as to what else I may need to check, fix or scan to ensure system runs in its previous optimum performance. And, would like to know if there is any way to find out what happened and/or how this happened.

I will post again later regarding any adverse outcomes from the virus scan, and if so, I will move this discussion to the Security Forum area.

Thanks again, in advance for your assistance.
hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#3 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:34 PM

Have you done a virus scan to confirm that you are not infected? Malewarebytes

you should try a system restore to get things back to how they were before you started to have this problem.

start

all programs

accessories

system tools

system restore

to find out what happened you can check the event viewer

start

control panel

administrative tools

event viewer

check all logs to see if anything has been logged

#4 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I finished running full scans using both superantivirus and malwarbytes, separately of course, and neither program found any infections. I also ran ESET online scan just to make sure and went to sleep last night. Woke up, no problems or issues. Ran system scan and defragged before work, all went well.

When I get home from work tonight, I'll run a system restore per your instructions and then check out the event view and post its findings here.

Thanks again for your help and we'll catch up with you again this weekend.
hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#5 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:11 PM

System Restore and Set Points completed.

Not sure how to read the various information on the Event Logs, but there were only a couple red x's under the label Service Control Manager in the System logs from 10-13-11. But, other than that all appears to have been corrected.

Should I d/l and run "memcheck86" to see if there is a more perochial explanation so I can better u/s what happened?

Thanks again for all your help!
hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#6 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:05 PM

Doing a memcheck86 is not a bad idea just to eliminate Ram as a suspect.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:06 PM

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.

Type Y in new screen and hit Enter.

Reboot the system. The chkdsk /r command will execute and then boot into Windows.

The fact that running chkdsk allowed you to boot...indicates that it's either a Windows, file system or hard drive problem...may not warrant any other action by you.

Louis

#8 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:07 PM

Thanks for the info :)
hYlAnDeR~TFC~