Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiboot, Accidentally deleted System Partition. Cannot boot other partition

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jwguy

Jwguy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:37 PM

I essentially decided to use my hard-drive for two different forms of Windows XP 32 and 64-bit. This was some time ago, and it ended up with the 64-bit partition (C:\) as my system partition. The 32-bit partition (E:\) was considered a logical drive, and I used it almost entirely, due to the fact that my CD Key for 64-bit will no longer work, for whatever reason.

Eventually, I decided that I needed the space from the old, unused 64-bit partition, and since both partitions had Windows installed on them, I thought it'd be no problem to just delete 64-bit and merge the remaining space with my 32-bit partition.

Unfortunately, before I got that far, I found out that my 32-bit partition no longer will boot. After reading up on it, I found out about the system partition and all that stuff that I messed up by deleting the 64-bit partition.

I've tried to use the recovery console via boot CD, but when using BootCFG, the /SCAN function doesn't recognize the 32-bit partition. I've verified that the files are still there (installed another partition with windows and checked via explorer), but even with an edited boot.ini, the Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit partition won't boot beyond the blue screen, windows logo after "Welcome".

Is there anyway to salvage and fix the partition? I'd rather avoid losing all the driver installations and registry keys I have on the other partition, and would much rather just make that drive the system partition and only partition, for now. Anyone have ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Jwguy

Jwguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:51 PM

Oh. Also, when in Windows Setup, the 32-bit partition in question can be seen, and is stated as "in a format not suitable to Windows Installation" or similar. I can enter it in Recovery Console, but it does not recognize that Windows is installed on it. Partition table?

#3 Jwguy

Jwguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:23 PM

Anyone?

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:02 PM

Hi -
How much data is on the computer that you want to actually save ? Can any of this data be saved to flash drive, or on to blank CDs ?

>> my CD Key for 64-bit will no longer work, for whatever reason. <<
Did you have 2 Full install CDs and register both with M/soft, or is the second install just "added on" from another non-Registered Windows boot ?
If you have attempted to "over-ride" the first install This can be why it is >> not in a format not suitable to Windows Installation <<
Many people complain that similar things happen and they just used a "spare" install CD that is not registered or currently legal.

If you cannot save anything, select the OS you want to keep and try to Clean Reistall.
Remember "Windows ain't Windows". Each install in a dual boot is a separate install that cannot always be saved.

Regards -
EDITED for spelling only -

Edited by noknojon, 15 October 2011 - 10:03 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,277 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:15 PM

I don't know anything about 64-bit XP, but it's XP and the same Recovery Console commands should apply.

I would try the fixboot and fixmbr commands on that partition...run from the Recovery Console of the XP 64-bit CD.

For all intents and purposes...it doesn't matter which is reflected as the system partition, as long as the boot files are intact.

Installing Vista or Win 7 changes the nature of the boot files, which can create a problem...but since you have 2 versions of XP, the Recovery Console commands from the 64-bit CD should work.

An alternative would be to simply do a repair install of the XP 64-bit.

<<...in a format not suitable to Windows Installation" or similar...>>

Please...be exact. We cannot see your computer and the error message is designed to point to whatever might be the problem.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users