Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3 Utility: Setup Disks for Floppy Boot Install?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cute0206

cute0206

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:43 PM

i'm trying to do a system recovery on my older dell laptop that won't start. the following link from microsoft only has the setup disks for service pack 1 and 2. where do i download the one for service pack 3? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:06 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/
Please read the tutorial above from BC tutorials -

Thank You -

#3 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

i don't have an existing copy of Windows XP though

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:02 PM

Hi -
Do you actually have a Floppy Drive for your laptop ? Most laptops did not have Floppy drives, only CD drives -

If you can make Floppy disks then we can make a CD from that - From there we just install SP3 later -

Regards -

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:12 PM

If your Win XP edition is the retail version or not the OEM disc,and still have the product key or sticker, borrow an install disc of same type from a friend or someone you know.

Tekken

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:38 PM

If the recovery partition is still intact yo can try F11 at the DELL startup screen.
That should start the recovery process and put the system back to an "out of the box" state.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:42 PM

i'm sorry, i'm not really tech savvy, i guess i don't have a floppy drive, i thought i could just download to any external storage device:-(

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:18 AM

We don't now yet what model is this laptop. :huh: OP, What model is your laptop?

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users