Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Media Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:46 AM

Hi all...I'm shopping for DVD+R media, and have found Ritek Ridata Branded 8X DVD+R Media 100 Pack in Cake Box Spindle for $30. plus shipping. I have two questions...

1) Is Ritek Ridata a good quality media?

2) Is $30. a good deal?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:09 AM

I personally think that the Price is pretty good, not so sure about the brand though

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:10 PM

Q: How do I know who makes the disc: Brand vs. Media ID?
A: The thing that must be realized is that most media is produced by a relative small number of factories, located in several different places. These factories are present in Taiwan, Japan and China etc. This being said, understand that the media brands means nothing. Companies like Memorex, Fuji and Imation all outsource to media vendors. Media ID is important, as it reveals the disc maker.

There are Media IDs of some high quality DVD media:

RITEKGx = RITEK

OPTODISC = Optodisc

RICOHJPN = Ritek or Ricoh

PRODISCS03 = PRODISC

MCC = Mitsubishi Chemicals

PVC = Pioneer.

Be aware of fake discs using forged ID's: SONY = Fake Sony (Sony doesn't make DVD media with Media ID: SONY)

DVD Media Frequent Asked Question
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:24 PM

Thanks tg1911...I was't sure about the "branded" part, it did have me a little uncomfortable, especially when I'm about to order 100. This reminds me of hot water heaters, out of all the makes you can find there are actually only three manufacturers in the U.S.A.! :thumbsup:

I went back on line to Meritline.com and purchased a 100 Pack of Ritek Ridata 8X DVD+R (Silver Shiny) Blank Media, 4.7GB DVDplusR Discs. With the manufactuters part# provided I felt a little more assured, but now I realize that I need to get manufacturer codes to make sure that I'm not purchasing knockoffs. :flowers:

Manufacturer: Ritek Ridata
Manufacturer Part#: DRD+47-8X
Top: Silver Shiny

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 oldcorpsgunny

oldcorpsgunny

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 01:25 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers: "SONY=Fake SONY (Sony doesn't use media ID: SONY)"?? Does this mean all SONY CDs and DVDs are fakes? Just bought a 3-pack of SONY DVD-RW mini-disks to use in a camcorder from a reliable store and would hate to think I've been ripped off. :trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users