Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Consistently Crashes At Different Times!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BaderThanBad

BaderThanBad

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:37 AM

Hi, I have an Alienware m17x that ive had for 2 years with windows 7 on it. 8GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Quadcore Q9000 (~2.0Ghz 4 CPUs), SLI 2 Nvidia GeForce GTX 260M Videocards with 9400 on motherboard. I have also bought a very good cooling pad with two fans and plenty of air flow below where the laptop usually operates, and my problem is this.

The laptop started crashing while I have been playing games for a while, now it has become so frequent it even crashes on youtube or an idle desktop. Sometimes, it freezes and the sound keeps playing in a loop, sometimes it goes blue screen and starts to physical dump(happened 2 times), sometimes freezes black, and sometimes there are distorted pixels in several colors covering the screen. Cant tell if one of the video cards is busted, processors decayed, or any other component is just busting up. Hey, it might even be software related I dont have a clue. Im hoping one of you experienced people out there know, as far as I can tell I havent really maintained this laptop as good as I should be. It crashes alot while playing games if that helps. I really dont think its an overheating issue because its suffuciently cool (always hotter while heavy usage, which laptop doesnt though) but if its dirty and clogged up on the inside it might be I cant tell.

Have to change the thermal paste/clean the inside with air, but its bolted down with a weird bolt that screwdrivers cant remove (the inside inside, I can clean just one fan, there are two more inside and all the components I cant reach). Any suggestions on how to narrow this issue down to solve? Thanks in advance :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BaderThanBad

BaderThanBad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:11 AM

*polite bump*

It only crashes in games now. Either freezes video while sound loops on 20-30 minutes in playing(usual scenario, sometimes it lasts a long time too like hours), stutters for a brief period and gets back, and i have seen the blue screen physical memory dump twice.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:13 PM

I would try to eliminate overheating as a probable cause. At least, check the temps via software like Core Temps or SpeedFan.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users