Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rj88

rj88

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:14 AM

Hi I'm having trouble with my computer. I have two identical ram sticks 2gb each. When I put them together my computer powers on but won't boot, no post screen etc but If put individually computer boots fine. Thanks I hope someone can help.

Here's my specs.

Mobo: Emx IG31 AVL
Bios: American Mega trends Inc. V1.1
Ram: Team Elite DDR2(800) 2gb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:18 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

According to your specifications your system should support 4 GB of Dual Channel DDR2 800/ 667 RAM.

Here's the link: http://www.emaxxtech.com/products.php?id=14

I am curious if you have the jumper which is next to the CMOS battery set correctly.

Below is the jumper settings, I used * as spacers so the columns will line up properly.
Look at your motherboard and make sure your settings on these jumpers are set correctly.
This can be viewed on page 15 of your motherboard owners manual, if you do not have a current copy of it, you can download a copy of it from the link above under manuals.

JFSB1***JFSB2****CPU FSB
1-2********1-2******AUTO (Default)
OPEN*****2-3******800
2-3********2-3******1066
2-3********OPEN*****1333

An incorrect setting can cause a system to halt if something is not is not set correctly.

I realize you stated that you can not boot to BIOS if both are in the board at the same time, so try checking these settings with only one stick installed.

You could choose FAIL SAFE DEFAULTS by hitting F8 once you are in your BIOS setup utility, you can get there by hitting DEL during boot up.

This may correct a setting in your BIOS that is preventing the system from booting with both sticks in the motherboard RAM slots.

Make sure you save by hitting F10 before exiting the BIOS setup utility.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 October 2011 - 06:23 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 rj88

rj88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:54 AM

Thanks for the reply. I had reset my bios to its fail safe settings. My computer now boots up but reboots after POST just right before the windows loading screen appears. Sometimes it can get to the windows loading screen but reboots halfway. I also tried going on safe mode and i was able to log in but it crashed after a few minutes. I haven't tried the jumper settings cause i don't know how to manually set it.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:31 PM

What make and model number do you have for a video card?

What are the specs listed on the label of your PSU? I am interested in the output ratings.

You can give us more information about your computer system minus the specs of your PSU by following the directions below, but I would still need to know the output specs of your PSU because Speccy does not check for that information.

• [
  • Go to Piriform's website, and click the big Posted Image button.

Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    Posted Image

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot

You will see the following prompt:
    Posted Image

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Posted Image

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the Posted Image button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

I may suggest a BIOS upgrade, but before I suggest that, I want to see what your Speccy report has to offer for information.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 October 2011 - 05:33 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 rj88

rj88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:22 PM

Hi this is what i got.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ZtUPZhzVnWWZFxWVeMwu40k

PSU:
TECHWILL Switching power Supply
Model: P4-500w

AC Input |

220V-50Hz 3A

DC Output
+5 +3.3V +12V -5V -12V +5VSB

26.0A 14.0A 12.0A 0.5A 0.5A 2.0A

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Operating System
MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz 48 °C
Yorkfield 45nm Technology
RAM
2.00 GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
Emaxx Technologies, Inc EMX-IG31-AVL (CPU 1) 48 °C
Graphics
Acer X193HQ (1360x768@60Hz)
1024MB GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) 62 °C
Hard Drives
313GB NULL (SATA) 42 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22LS40
DTSoftBusCd00
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Edited by rj88, 14 October 2011 - 01:21 AM.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:49 AM

All the research I have done brings me to a conclusion that your RAM models should work together in this motherboard.

Here is some information I used for my research.

First a list of Intel chipsets from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets

I used that list to look up the required Itel chipset for your memory, anything above the 965 series chip set supports your Team Elite memory, scroll down until you see Core 2 chipsets and you'll see G31

That list gives you an idea what your Itel chipset supports.

Now I used another link to look up the specifications of your Team Elite Memory Kit.

Here's a link I used for my research: http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/24095_Team_Elite_2GB_DDR2_800MHz_CL5_TEDD2048M800HC5.aspx

Would you say this last link pretty much correctly identifies your two Ram kits?

At the bottom of that page in the discription, it states those kits work with chip sets from the 965 series on up for Intel Core 2 Quad type processors, yours is listed as Intel G31/P31 Series

Now regarding my previous question about jumpers labled JFSB1 and JFSB2 the default factory setting on these jumpers is JFSB1 is supposed to be set to pins # 1-2, JFSB2 is supposed to be set to pins # 1-2 This sets the system BUS to automatic settings.

The other configurations set the system BUS to:

OPEN*****2-3******800 Mhz
2-3********2-3******1066 Mhz
2-3********OPEN*****1333 Mhz

The numbers above are the pin locations, open means no jumper.

You can see a picture drawing in the motherboard manual on page 15, these jumpers are physical connections and the BIOS setup utility has no affect on them.

Please tell me what those jumper settings are set to.

To me honest with you, unless one of those kits is faulty, I would like to believe they should work together, unless perhaps there is a problem with slot #2.

Have you tried both sticks, one at a time using only slot #2 to see if slot number 2 has a possible defect?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 14 October 2011 - 04:02 AM.

#7 rj88

rj88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:00 AM

With regards to slot #2 yes I tried switching slots and worked fine.

About the jumpers, honestly I don't have any knowledge about it. But can you please tell me how many pins am i supposed to see.

I checked it and what i saw was 2 rows 3 columns of pins. The upper right most and the lower right most were the only pins visible , those to the left of them are covered with some kind of a rubber.

Also when I first purchased my computer it had no problem running with two sticks of ram. It's only after a month when it crashed and I thought that 1 of my ram could be faulty. It's only now that I tried adding back 1 more ram stick because I wan't to change to Windows 7 and I badly need more ram.

Edited by rj88, 14 October 2011 - 01:07 PM.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:48 PM

Those rubber looking things you see are metal clips embedded in plastic, the clips connect two pins together like a switch, the plastic merely makes it easier to grab onto the clip and the clip slides down over the pins.

Based on what I have read, I am beginning to think those jumpers are most likely set to their default settings. It is my belief that if they had been changed by you, you would have known what they were for.

You stated that you had two sticks of RAM in your computer and you removed one stick thinking your system was crashing because of the two sticks being in the RAM slots at the same time.

Are these the same two Team Elite RAM sticks you tried before?

Now your tests conclude that if you insert one of either of those two sticks in either of the two slots, the computer boots up successfully.

So this brings us to a conclusion that both slots pass the test.

You stated that those two sticks are a matched set.

The only thing I can come up with for why the computer fails to boot is that there may not be enough power going to the motherboard to power up both sticks at the same time.

Now I realize you had two sticks in this motherboard before and for the most part they worked, with the exception of a random crash here and there.

Power supplies are work horses, they have a lot of hardware to supply power to and get quite a workout, they also get subject to a lot of heat, power main disturbance, brown outs, power failure related damage. They take a lot of abuse.

Over time, the power supply can start loosing its ability to maintain the rated power output it originally had when it was new.

+12 volts can drop below 12 volts to 11.5 volts, +3.3 volts can drop to 2.1 volts, +5 volts can drop to 4.1 volts.

The only real way of knowing what is going on is to have a digital VOM multimeter.
Set the meter to DC volts and while the computer is up and running, look for unused power connectors that you can get a voltage reading from.

The black wires are always ground, they are also called NEGATIVE or (-) or chassis ground.
The black wire is where the black test probe from the meter should be connected to. Simply insert the probe into the back side of the connector where the wire goes into the plug.

The yellow wire should have +12 volts or a reading of 12.0 or higher. Make sure the red probe of the meter and the black probe never touch each other while they are in these positions or you will short out your power supply.

The red wire is +5.00 volts, a reading off of the red wire should be at least 5.0

The orange wire is +3.3 volts and should be close to that reading.

During these tests the black probe can remain on the same black wire.

Now let me be clear that if a meter is used and since the power supply is under load (meaning its resources are being used up by the hardware) the readings can safely be a few micro volts higher or lower than the initial rating. However, if 12 volts is reading 11.2 or 3.3 volts is reading 2.5 volts, that becomes a problem, because the demand is higher than the supply. Some computer components require a stable constant supply at or above 12 volts or 3.3 volts.

Anything less then the required amount, causes transistors to oscillate off their required frequency, amplifiers become switches and switches act like amplifiers and the computer system runs very unstable or not at all.

I want to apologize to you for getting really technical and long winded here in this post about how electrical circuits and power supplies work, but also realize the more you know the better it is for you to understand.

I can teach a person in less than 5 minutes, what took me 38 years to learn. It is not that it takes 38 years, it is the experience I am talking about and the money I invested in college and getting a license to do commercial related repairs.

Any questions you have I am capable of answering for free. :wink:

Because I know my question was buried in my rant and would most likely not be answered, I'll ask it again.

Is the two sticks you are attemping to use now, the same two you were using before?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 14 October 2011 - 05:03 PM.

#9 rj88

rj88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:24 PM

I really appreciate for taking the time to explain all those stuff, and yes, now I have a better idea how those stuff works. A lot of thanks.

Regarding those jumpers I never touched any of them since I bought my computer, in fact I never knew those jumpers even exist.

About the sticks of ram,yes they were the same ram previously installed, I never bought new one cause 2gb is more than enough to run xp.

You were saying that it could be my power supply not being able to supply enough power, so if should I decide to replace it, would it be ok to get another 500 wats or better if I get higher?

Edited by rj88, 14 October 2011 - 10:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users