Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Facebook device?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Curiousp

Curiousp

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:11 AM

Today after haven't being on Facebook for 2 days, when I logged in it told me that an unrecognized device had tried to access my account and it's been locked. Says the person is from Washington DC (I'm from Australia). I've never had this problem before and my computer has many on-demand scanners and Nod32 to protect me, so I thought I would be safe. I have posted my email on a lot of sites, but at this period of time I'm not sure if my email was made public on Facebook and if this was how the person was able to attempt to log in.

When Facebook tells you this, does it mean the person was granted access to the account, or only attempted? I am about to change my password, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:17 PM

. I have posted my email on a lot of sites

That is vulnerability. The last time my only FB account(which I believe was hack)got locked, took about 6 months before I could access it. FB team has acknowledge and detected this upon logging in to account and have reminded me to set-up a new stronger password. There are different kinds of hacking and one is you cannot access your account.

Tekken

#3 Curiousp

Curiousp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:32 PM

Yeah, you know how you join forum sites and you enter your email address? That's what I was thinking. Also I entered my login details into friend's computers occasionally and because they're not very tech savvy something could have happened there. I got back my account with no difficulties, nothing was changed. The only thing I was curious about was when I looked at my current session, the previous sessions weren't there so I couldn't see if there was a hacker who had logged in. I did change my password and email password even though there hadn't been any activity on the email account.

Just wondering, how can someone retrieve your email address or facebook password (don't know if the hacker actually logged in or just guessed passwords) if you're absolutely sure that your computer isn't compromised?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:00 PM

After looking thru my emails dated Sept. 2011,

If you did not change your password, your account may have been the victim of a phishing scam. Please follow the link to regain control over your account:

After several attempts of logging in to my only FB Account, email message sent with above quote and link (http://www.facebook.com/hacked/) to report compromised account. Eventually, I was able to recover and reset my password account provided by FB sent on my main Ymail account. The first time I registered on FB and requires a sent confirmation message(which I never received) from my Ymail to be able to continue accessing the social networking site got me stumped. Without the email message not being sent most probably blocked for some reason to confirm my membership, unabled me to access my account.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users