Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Lubuntu 11.04] Customizing Logitech Marblemouse

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 octoberWind73

octoberWind73

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:39 AM

Hello. How do I customize a Logitech Marblemouse on my version of Linux?

I have recently installed Lubuntu 11.04 on the computer listed in my signature (I now have 2 HDD, one with XP and the other with Linux). I have a Logitech USB Marblemouse that currently works with the Lubuntu. However, I would like to customize buttons.

In Window XP, my marblemouse has the following functionality:
Large_Left_Button             = "Normal" left mouse button functionality
Large_Right_Button            = "Normal" right mouse button functionality
Small_Left_Button             = Unassigned
Small_Right_Button            = Middle Button
Large_Left+Large_Right_Button = Unassigned
I would like to have the same functionality in Lubuntu if possible. With the help of Google I found this link on the Ubuntu website. My problem is that the file "50-marblemouse.conf" doesn't exist on my system (at least I haven't been able to find it). And when I attempt to create the file in the directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/", I get a write error.

I've spent time trying to "su" to get the correct permissions (can't su in lubuntu/ubuntu apparently). Tried using the "sudo" command with the text editor with no luck. I've spent the past couple of hours so target focused on the creation of "50-marblemouse.conf" that I might be missing something simple.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Added full directory name for clarity.

Edited by octoberWind73, 13 October 2011 - 08:34 AM.

Compaq Presario SR1010Z (PU166AV) -- CPU: AMD Sempron™ Processor 3100+, 1.808GHz -- RAM: 1 x 512MB DDR-400B, 200MHz (PC3200), NOTE: 64MB used by GFX -- MOBO: ASUSTek Computer INC., K8S-LA (Salmon) -- HDD: Western Digital, 160 GB, SATA -- GFX: Integrated SiS Mirage2 Graphics (SiS 760) -- PSU: HIPRO HP-D3057F3R, 300W -- Network: PC to 2Wire 2701HG-B Gateway (Ethernet) -- OS: Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3 -- Browser: Opera -- Anti-Virus: Avast! (free) -- Anti-Spyware: Malwarebytes (free) -- Firewall: ZoneAlarm (free)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:08 AM

You probably get an error because I seriously doubt there's a directory /xorg.conf.d. What you're probably looking for is /usr/share//X11/xorg.conf.d. Try that one.

#3 octoberWind73

octoberWind73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:33 AM

When I typed "/xorg.conf.d" I meant "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/". I will edit my OP (if possible) to make that clear.
Compaq Presario SR1010Z (PU166AV) -- CPU: AMD Sempron™ Processor 3100+, 1.808GHz -- RAM: 1 x 512MB DDR-400B, 200MHz (PC3200), NOTE: 64MB used by GFX -- MOBO: ASUSTek Computer INC., K8S-LA (Salmon) -- HDD: Western Digital, 160 GB, SATA -- GFX: Integrated SiS Mirage2 Graphics (SiS 760) -- PSU: HIPRO HP-D3057F3R, 300W -- Network: PC to 2Wire 2701HG-B Gateway (Ethernet) -- OS: Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3 -- Browser: Opera -- Anti-Virus: Avast! (free) -- Anti-Spyware: Malwarebytes (free) -- Firewall: ZoneAlarm (free)

#4 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:52 AM

Then I guess I'm not clear on what your error is. I just typed this:

sudo nano /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-marblemouse

I typed a couple of lines, then saved it. No error. I then typed:

sudo rm /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-marblemouse

Again, no error. Meaning the file was there.

What sort of error are you getting (precisely)?

#5 octoberWind73

octoberWind73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:11 AM

Your reply helped. Thank you.

I was using the "leafpad" text editor. Lubuntu would not let me "su". And when I attempted to use "sudo" the following would occur:
brian@familyroom-linux:~$ sudo leafpad /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-marblemouse&
[1] 1823
brian@familyroom-linux:~$

The terminal would just sit there...nothing opened and when I hit "enter":
[1]+  Stopped                 sudo leafpad /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-marblemouse

In any event, I can now create the file I need to.

#6 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:02 AM

For the 'su' part, it's probably because root doesn't have a password. You can assign one (I always do, and I suggest others do for rescue purpose) like this:

sudo passwd root

The first prompt for password will be your password. The next two will be for the new root password.

That will allow you to 'su' to root, and will give you a root password if you find your boot stops in the middle due to need for some repair or something.

The second way is to sudo to su. Any of the following works (with slightly different effects, but still with root permissions):

sudo su
sudo -i su
sudo su -

#7 octoberWind73

octoberWind73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:59 AM

Thanks for the info!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users