Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot - W7 & Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scubab

scubab

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:20 PM

Good evening all,
I wasn't quite sure which forum this should go in so I apologize if this belongs elsewhere.
I primarily run Windows 7 on my 700GB HD but had an old 200GB HD lying around so I decided to try Ubuntu.
I'm very new to Linux, I know very little about it and I also know very little about dual booting.
I have W7 plugged into SATA 3 and Ubuntu plugged into SATA 1. When I turn my computer on it was launching automatically to Ubuntu until I changed the boot priorities in BIOS to launch the W7 HD.

When powering the PC on I'd like to be prompted to choose which OS to launch. How can I go about doing this? I consider myself very proficient with Google but I cannot find any helpful information! Well, maybe I should say I can't find any helpful information that I understand. I may have very well likely passed over a topic that is just using words that I don't understand and assumed that it wasn't what I needed :P
I've checked MSCONFIG but it only shows my primary drive with W7 (which I kind of expected). Any other advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boyans

boyans

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:21 AM

You want to be able to choose which OS to boot from Windows 7 boot menu.

Adding a boot entry for Ubuntu is simple.

1. Download and install 'ext2fs' - this will give you access to Linux partitions (Ubuntu) from Windows.
2. Copy the file "/boot/grub/boot.img" from Ubuntu to Windows 7 "\boot" partition.
3. Create a boot sector loader. Give it as parameter the file \boot\boot.img

For 3.) you can use Visual BCD Editor - right click for pop-up menu -> Create boot-sector loader.
Adjust drive and path to point to drive and path of "\boot\boot.img" editing ApplicationDevice and ApplicationPath.

Posted Image

Edited by boyans, 13 October 2011 - 07:32 AM.

#3 Digital-Punk

Digital-Punk

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:14 PM

Here is a great tutorial I have found for you on how to do a dual boot http://lifehacker.com/5403100/dual+boot-windows-7-and-ubuntu-in-perfect-harmony

#4 scubab

scubab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:07 PM

Thank you all but, without doing anything different, when I booted Ubuntu again it prompted me with GRUB to choose which sector to boot :)

Edited by scubab, 13 October 2011 - 09:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users