Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Programs-what Are Some Of The Best?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alpha_Blue

Alpha_Blue

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:23 AM

Hello everyone, it seems like my McAfee subscription might expire soon, so I am thinking about options for antivirus.

McAfee is disliked by many, but I actually like it. The only 3 things I dislike are; it takes up lots of memory, its slow, and it asks you to scan the full PC after it merely detects 1 problem, each time, over and over again. I like its rate of detection, and its good at removing lots of different types of trojans and viruses and exploits.

Here is my dilemna: should I stick with Mcafee, or choose another antivirus?

Consumer Reports rated TrendMicro's PC-Cillin the top rated antivirus program out of all of the ones it tested, and they usually have great rating and reports.

Should I get Pc-Cillin? Or Kaspersky, which Consumers rated number 2? What about the new F-Secure antivirus that's supposed to be very good? Or NOD32? My mom was thinking of Norton and I know people flame it for hours on end, is it REALLY truly horrible? It was rated number 4 on the list.

What should I get? I want an antivirus with top rate detection and removal and quick, on-time updates and coverage. As for the interface, I don't want it to look like Windows 3.1, but I'm not that picky about it, if it looks pretty good. As for the speed, I really dont want a very slow one, but I want one that is good and flexible- that will ask you certain things. For example, if Mcafee detects certain scripts, it will block the script and it has an option to 'allow the script this time'. I want an antivirus that lets you create rules to allow a script EVERY time so I do not get this warning every single time- in other words, an antivirus program that is configurable like a firewall, only not to that much of a degree.

What are everyone's suggestions? I'm thinking TrendMicro sounds the best what do you guys think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Professional

Professional

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:37 AM

Hey AB,
I being using McAfee Antivirus and Firewall for almost a year infact exactly a year in three days! i got the Expiry Date yesterday. So I bought the Complete Internet Security Suite (Antivirus, Firewall, SpamKiller and Privacy Service) For a start it is much better that Norton, used that for about two months. It may not be the best but personally it has one of the very best firewalls I have ever used! I gives you detail information and has pretty good blocking system.If you are going for free AVG for Antivirus and ZoneAlarm for Firewall your best options even though I dont like ZoneAlarm because it tends to lag my PC, may not be true. If you have some other appz like Ad-Aware SE, Spybot S&D, MS AntiSpyware and eWido like I do McAfee would be a good option.
Posted Image

#3 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:12 AM

i use AVG free from 3 years without any problems at all.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:46 AM

Independent comparatives of Anti-Virus Software
List of Anti-virus Products: Reviews
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016