Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linking Directly To A Download

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alpha_Blue

Alpha_Blue

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:10 AM

I found this at another forum, it's pretty handy when you want to directly link to a download, but don't know how.

Instructions:

1. Visit the site that has the download.
2. Right click on the link that takes you DIRECTLY to the download.
3. Select "Copy Shortcut".
4. Paste the direct link to the file/program wherever you choose- a bulletin board, IM message, chatroom, or anywhere else you would like.

If you follow these 4 easy steps, this will save you the trouble of having to manually type the address out, since when the file comes up for download the address bar pops up too fast to copy and then immediately goes away and is replaced by a 'file download' box.

Just a little trick for saving time, I didn't know how to do this until recently- its pretty neat :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:07 AM

It's a good trick - but won't always work for things that are updated frequently.

Also, if you use it for others, let them know that it's a direct link. The download notification popping up unexpectedly can freak some folks out!

It also can be used for any link that you know is valid. For example: When I recommend the program SpeedFan here, I do a google search for "speedfan", then right click on the link and copy it's location (as Alpha Blue stated) - and then paste it into my post.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 talenak

talenak

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:21 AM

You should also check TOS on the site you are doing that with, just to be nice. Some places prefer you don't so they can route people through agreements and whatnot.

#4 Alpha_Blue

Alpha_Blue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:19 PM

Oh yeah, good point talenak, didn't think of that.

#5 afterhours

afterhours

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 26 February 2006 - 12:53 PM

I don't do "copy shortcut"

I do the "Save target as"

I always thought the "copy shortcut" only provided a link to the file, not actually downloading it and being able to play it from the computer without the internet or redownloading everytime.?
~VAIO~

#6 imatechie

imatechie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:51 PM

As for direct linking to files on other web sites, if it isn't specifically authorized in their terms of service, proper etiquette would be to ask the web master for permission to link to the file. The correct term for directly linking to a file is called "hot linking" and many web masters out there consider it stealing as it takes bandwidth from the web site. This can cause web sites to go over the bandwidth allotment. I either link to the download page, or ask permission to host the file on my own server.

Just my two cents worth. :thumbsup:

Jeff
The only real problem that I have with being an I.T. Tech is that I can't use the excuse:
"Sorry, I don't do windows."

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:03 PM

Preferred practice is to link to the download page, not to the file itself, for security reasons. A potential downloader should be able to determine the safety of the download and have a general idea of its contents before downloading any file.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users