Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD Player stopped working

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 MargieB

MargieB

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:08 PM

I use a Toshiba laptop and I used to watch movies on it all the time until it stopped working. The drive shows there is no disc when there is a disc in there, the same disc I used before with no problems. I have ONE movie that will play and all the others wont work? I had a virus removed in your malware removal forum and they tried to help me with the dvd player but the end result was referring me to this forum. I would attach that session if I could figure out how, sorry. Can you help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:33 PM

This is a possible test that can be done if the laptop came with a "recovery" or "restore" CD.

See if that disc is recognized when booted to windows, if not, reboot and follow the instructions to boot from the CD.

If windows cannot recognize it, but the CD boots the computer, then that indicates that something in Windows has corrupted (perhaps the work of that virus) to prevent you from accessing those discs.

Is it only movie DVDs that cause the problem, or will data (games or programs) discs not be recognized either?

#3 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:14 PM

For reference - link to the malware removal thread: jump/redirect-windows 7 (CD/DVD drive diagnostics starts with post #16)

- checked Upper/LowerFilters
- reinstalled the Driver (via Device Manager)...
- ran the tool by MS: Your CD or DVD drive can't read or write media (there was an error?)
- the Device status says the device's working properly...
- no significant errors in the Event log, as far as I can see...
- I do not see any software installed which could be responsible for blocking the drive in some way (like software used to burn discs or emulate CD/DVD drives)...
Posted Image
snemelk.hekko.pl - my site with a few computer security tips...
Silesia - that's where I live!

"If I had some duct tape, I could fix that." - MacGyver

#4 MargieB

MargieB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:33 AM

I tried the recovery disc and it doesnt recognize that one either. I worte that there was one dvd that played ... well now it dont anymore. The light on the disc drawer blinks like its reading it but nothing happens and then the light just stops blinking. I dont have any games or programs to try. It just baffles me that it wouldnt play any movies anymore but then the one played twice since then and now it dont. It even makes the sounds that its working but nothing happens.....sometimes a weird sound too.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:41 PM

It sounds to me as if the drive has died or needs cleaning.

to clean the drive open the tray. You will see a slot with a mechanism that has the laser on it. Very gently clean the lens with a zero residue cleaner such as Glass cleaner. Be very gentle as the lense is not fixed in place. It has to be able to move up and down for focusing on the disc.

Try a CD-Rom too they use a different laser. Borrow a cdrom if need be, You don't have any music CDs?
Have you tried cleaning the bottom of the disc? Windex and something that won't shed fibers. Maybe a old T-Shirt?

The drive could just be dead.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:25 PM

What kind of Toshiba lap top do you have? Please provide the full system model number.

#7 MargieB

MargieB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:16 PM

Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5093
Model# PSK2LU-02700C
Also I am able to play a store bought music cd and a burned music cd with no problems. Shows the name and pictures of the music artists as well as the track number etc

Edited by MargieB, 19 October 2011 - 06:23 PM.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:23 PM

First lets go to safe Mode via hitting F8 just after the post screen.

After that right click on My Computer then go to Properties. On the left hand side you will see Device Manger go ahead and click it.

Posted Image

On the resulting image go to IDE/ATAPI Controllers and remove them all.

Reboot the machine into regular mode. You will be prompted that new hardware has been detected go ahead and let the new hardware install.

Try your CD/DVD's Again.

Also from your specs of your lap top:

Fixed Optical Disk Drive7
• DVD SuperMulti drive supporting 11 formats
o Maximum Read speed and compatibility: CD-ROM (24x), CD-R (24x), CD-RW (24x), DVD-ROM (8x), DVD-R (8x), DVD-R DL (6x), DVD-RW (6x), DVD+R (8x), DVD+R DL (6x), DVD+RW (8x), DVD-RAM (5x)

Those are the supported media that is used by your cd/dvd player/rom.

Edited by cryptodan, 19 October 2011 - 06:31 PM.

#9 MargieB

MargieB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:36 PM

ok...stupid question...I hit f8 but I cant tell or know what safe mode looks like or is...how can I tell if it's in safe mode? (sorry)

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:53 PM

Safe Mode will be present in the corners, and your resolution will be all off.

As seen here:

Posted Image

#11 MargieB

MargieB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:01 PM

ok I did it (yay me) but it still wont play any movie dvds.
Just to be sure I followed your instructions after I finally got it into safe mode
I went into device manager and clicked on IDE/ATA/ATAPI Controllers, I right clicked on ATA Channel 0 and clicked "uninstall"
and did the same on ATA Channel 2(there was no channel 1), ATA Channel 3 and on Standard ACHI1.0 Serial ATA Controller...was prompted to restart so I did. Everything reintalled as you instructed it would and I tried my DVDs again and got nothing. The curser shows a dvd spinning icon for a second once or twice and I can hear it running in there but nothing loads and it just stops.
Is this the end? I have a bad dvd driver?

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:21 PM

Now lets try downloading the following: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ and try the DVD's again.

#13 MargieB

MargieB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:44 PM

ok I did that and still nothing...here is what the error messages read for each one I tried

Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd://D:\'. Check the log for details.

I can't find a log to check

also in messages it said
cdda error:cannot read sector 79653-> the numbers are continually counting at a fast speed and wont quit counting

Edited by MargieB, 20 October 2011 - 12:02 AM.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:11 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#15 MargieB

MargieB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:53 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/6Mf05XW0MmO7KdEAb1LNHwn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users