Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista wireless connection reporting local only

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gyroc

Gyroc

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:05 PM

I recently have been having trouble connecting to my netgear WNR2000v3 I have two issues that need addressing if you dont mind helping possiably three but anyways. I was connected to the router and had local and internet access about two days ago it stopped now im plugged in and have been going crazy with the number of ways to fix and or things to test but im breaking down and need help im going to post this from another forum that I placed this problem into as well listed below everything that I have done and tried also I am going to attach a pic of my device manager network adapters. I am also posting an ipconfig /all that I just ran and copy pasted from my cmd prompt while the laptop was connected with the cable to my router and wireless LOCAL only all the connections that it lists scares me because I just dont know

I am running windows vista on my HP laptop (sorry not sure what kind of laptop it is it just says HP on it) it wil no longer connect to my wireless NETGEAR WNR2000v3 and when I do get it, its local only. I recently had virus infections removed from someone who used AVIRA and MBAM (malaware anti bytes)

*edit* I tried to disable the autoscaling feature in windows and it did not work *edit*
*edit* I am running windows vista home 32bit*

*EDIT* I can connect to the router now I had the wrong security type selected WPA instead of WPA2, but it still reports local only, I checked my router logs and it shows that it connects but it does not give me information on if it is blocking the laptop from the internet or if my laptop is. I have tried turning off the windows firewall and resetting it as well now.*EDIT*

I have tried the things listed below

- uninstall and reinstall windows wireless adapter drivers through computer managment
- disablied IPv6 through wirless adapter properties (unchecking the box)
- reset my rounter entirely (after which I can no longer connect to the router at all, where as before I did this I was able to connect to my router but it was local only) held the reset button for 10 or more seconds plus unplugged my modem and router for 5 mins, I know its alot of time for that but I was eating but regardless, after which I turned on my modem let all the lights go through their setup then I turned on the router let all the lights do their thing, and then my laptop to make sure everything picked up new settings.

-something threw me off also under computer managment under the network adapters there were ipv6 to ipv4 "tunnels" or something, they had the yellow warning sign on it.
-When I run ipconfig /all a TON of connections show up, this makes me think that there are virus remnants left so if this is the wrong forum please just let me know. I can also list my ipconfig /all if it will help

I would really appreacaite some help with this if anyone can ASAP I cannot stay plugged into my router but I know im on your time so thank you very much for reading and or helping me with this. I will be monistoring this thread as well as tracking it with my email expect a somewhat prompt reply.

Attached Files

Edited by Gyroc, 12 October 2011 - 07:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gyroc

Gyroc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:18 AM

im not sure how to close my own post (if I can) please close this post for me I am creating a HJT post before I trouble shoot this problem sorry for doing this out of order thank you for your help. The new HJT topic I am creating can be found here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic423325.html

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:22 PM

Leaving open, malware topic in MRL did not find any malware.

Louis

#4 Gyroc

Gyroc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:37 PM

Thank you I meant to post an update to this yesterday but got distracted.

Mod Edit: No problem :) ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 19 October 2011 - 03:55 PM.

#5 Gyroc

Gyroc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:32 PM

I am receiving additional help on this topic from another post of mine located HERE

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:06 AM

Since you have an open malware topic...and this topic might interfere with resolution of such...i am closing this topic to avoid confusion.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users