Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PSU, No Boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JPCofer

JPCofer

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:48 PM

Replaced 300W PSU I suspected was on the way out with a 650W. Also tried to add more RAM. Monitor and wireless keyboard/mouse didn't come-up on reboot.
Uninstalled new RAM, replaced old (in hopefully same configuration); connected wired keyboard and mouse to insure navigation.
On reboot, monitor came-up with message to change boot drive priority or insert boot disc.
Tried poking around the BIOS Setup; ASUS hard drive shows (PATA Secondary Master) as does one of two CD drives (PATA Primary Slave). Honestly, not sure if I changed anything there or not. (Nothing listed in SATA Port-0 or -1, PATA Primary Master, or PATA Secondard Slave)
Tried rebooting with Windows 7 disc in working CD drive -- got the run-around about Custom vs Repair vs New Install. Tried all choices, still no luck.
Didn't purposely hit any switches.

Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:56 PM

Sounds like your mobo may be going bad, go into your bios (normally press F2 on startup b4 windows welcome screen) and make sure it can see your hard drives.
Might have to enable ahci or ide under storage options for drives to show up

#3 JPCofer

JPCofer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:49 AM

Thanks. Checking for the hard drive thru BIOS did it. Apparently what I thought was the hard drive was another component. On second (and more thorough) inspection, the ribbon cable had pulled away from the drive. I'm a beanhead overlooking the obvious! Thanks again for the help...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users