Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to re-hide system folders after using unhide.exe?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ancient3

ancient3

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:27 PM

Hi Guys

I used unhide.exe after a virus I had... it done the trick.
However, is there an easy way to re-hide all the system files that were hidden before?

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:28 PM

Hello, depending on your Operating System you should just need to reverse the change that was made.
Look at your system in this guide and put the checkmark back in the box.

How to see hidden files in Windows
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ancient3

ancient3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:32 PM

Hi

Thanks for the reply, the checlboxes are ticked, ie the protected operating system files. However other files that were hidden are not now and I can't remember which files they were ie c:/users appdata etc.

Thanks.

#4 f0xh0und

f0xh0und

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:36 PM

sorry for the bump... i'd like to know the answer to this too, please!! :)

#5 f0xh0und

f0xh0und

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:29 PM

wow... guess nobody knows... or cares > : ( (me, personally, i don't like having normally, not only hidden, but ESPECIALLY hidden system folders (that won't show up when you show hidden folders in windows explorer folder options) showing (and accessible)!

Edited by f0xh0und, 13 December 2011 - 08:30 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:08 PM

Unhide.exe will unhide (attrib -H) all files on any fixed disks that are present after an infection and cleaning has left them hidden and invisible. Unhide is indiscriminate and it will make all files visible with attrib -H. This includes all files hidden by the malware as well as those which are normally hidden by the operating system or hidden by the user.

Only files that are +S (system) will not have their hidden attribute removed by unhide.exe. This is because the majority of legitimate Windows files that are hidden are also +S. For example, Desktop.ini is a system file and the tool is designed not to remove hidden attribute for system files.

There is no way to effectively whitelist the files that need to be hidden normally as they are different for every computer. The attrib -H change which makes file visible is reversible for normally hidden files. To hide the files in Windows, you can reverse the steps provided in How to see hidden files in Windows. For other files not governed by Windows Folder Options you will have to manually rehide them. To do that, right-click on the file, choose properties and check the Attributes box next to Hidden.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 f0xh0und

f0xh0und

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:47 PM

thank you for your reply quietman7. i guess i can live with SOME non hidden files (the only ones i know that were normally hidden were the ones i listed (and those are only on the root c: drive -- god only knows what else that should've stayed hidden that are now 'unhidden' (like in my program files folders :S ). oh well... :\

#8 f0xh0und

f0xh0und

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

what about the fact that if i hide, say, $recycle.bin it appears when i 'show hidden files and folders' in windows explorer (whereas, before, it remained hidden)??? :|

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users