Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(D:) Drive Captured By BD-ROM

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kampongkid1

kampongkid1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:03 AM

My (D:) drive has been captured by BD-ROM and I cannot get back to its default setting (DVD/CD-ROM). Driver is Microsoft 6.1.7601.17514, 6/21/06, on PLDS DVDRWBD DS-4E1S.

Any suggestions?!

Dell Inspiron 17R (N7010), Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit, Service Pack 1.

:(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,671 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:11 AM

Could you please explain your question a little better? Not sure what you are asking.

#3 kampongkid1

kampongkid1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:32 AM

Thanks!

I have 2 hard disk drives, (C:) and (D:), when I click on the MY COMPUTER icon. They used to be labeled OS (C:) and DVD/CD-ROM drive (D:).

Now MY COMPUTER suddenly shows OS (C:) and BD-ROM Drive (D:)

I would like to reset the (D:) drive back to its original, default DVD/CD-ROM Drive (D:)...I can't read, write or copy to/from any DVD or CD in (D:) drive as it now stands; the drive just plays retail movies.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,671 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:49 AM

You say you have two hard disk drives, c: and d:. Then you say d: is a dvd drive. I'm confused.

#5 kampongkid1

kampongkid1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:10 PM

Thanks again!

Device Manager for (D:) shows:

Drive D:
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded No
Media Type DVD Writer
Name PLDS DVDRWBD DS-4E1S
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK
Transfer Rate -1.00 kbytes/sec
SCSI Target ID 1
PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMPLDS_DVDRWBD_DS-4E1S____________________ED16____\4&2F02EDAB&0&0.1.0
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (6.1.7601.17514, 144.00 KB (147,456 bytes), 10/11/2011 1:48 PM)

USED to to be labeled CD-ROM drive (D:) when I click on MY COMPUTER, now shows as a BD-ROM drive (D:) there. How do I change it back to CD-ROM drive (D:) in MY COMPUTER?

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,671 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:08 PM

So it's not a hard drive, it's a cd drive, is that correct? And you have only ONE hard drive?

The easiest way to change the name in My Computer (Windows Explorer) is to right-click on the name, choose "Properties" and enter any name you like. But more important, what happened just before the name changed (did you install any new hw or sw, was there a virus, an error, anything)?

Edited by Allan, 12 October 2011 - 01:09 PM.

#7 kampongkid1

kampongkid1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:21 PM

Coming out of hibernation, (D:) drive just appeared as BD-ROM instead of DVD/CD-ROM. It seems that Blu-ray has taken over the DVD/CD-ROM setting for itself. No other problems.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:39 PM

If problems persist with the drives properties, simply go to device manager and look for CD-DVD drives, expand it and right click your drives name, choose properties, then uninstall the device, not the drivers.

Reboot computer and allow windows to reinstall your drive again.

Problem will instantly be resolved.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users