Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Studio 1537 Black Screen After LCD replacement. Possible Manufacturing Defect?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:26 AM

I work for a small computer firm and recently i came across a odd issue i received a dell studio 1537 with a cracked screen. after a routine screen replacement like the hundreds i have done before. i turned on the laptop and the monitor remained black. i verified that the inverter was properly connected and that the video cable was plugged in but still no result. the old LCD which while being cracked worked partially but now also failed to light up when put back in as a test. i looked online and i found an article regarding a few inspiron models that had a manufacturing defect in the graphics module. does anyone know if my problem with the studio 1537 is related??

and if so what is the next step replacing the entire graphics module ??

(side note) the VGA connector still works when hooked onto an external monitor

at this point in time i will suggest a new computer but i am most interested to know if anyone else has encountered this issue.

though i suspect that when said customer dropped the computer it may have caused some cracks in the mainboard or graphics module that just got worse when i removed the screws to take the computer apart

Edited by mikeloeven, 12 October 2011 - 09:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:44 AM

Since it works when plugged into the VGA socket there is no issue with the video subsystem. I would suspect much like you did that during the incident that broke the screen some other connection was broken from the board. The only thing I would suggest other wise is double checking all of the ribbon cables on each end as it may have pulled from the mainboard socket.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 mikeloeven

mikeloeven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:28 PM

actualy the first thing i did when i encountered the black screen was remove the ribbon cable and replace it with a new one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users