Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SCSI TO SATA PRIMARY HDD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hack4life

hack4life

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:04 AM

Today I came across an old Intel Pentium 3 server which was heading straight for the dumpster at my work. I managed to slide off the case and peering inside. I removed a hard drive from inside and checked the specifications. It read as follows '36.4GB 10K RPM WIDE ULTRA320 SCSI'.

Im wondering if I am able to install this SCSI HDD into my desktop pc? I found an SCSI to SATA converter on ebay but I'd like to get the all clear before purchasing it.
Would i see a dramatic speed increase if I do install it? Im currently booting windows 7 on a 7,200RPM 1TB HDD.

Edited by hamluis, 21 October 2011 - 02:37 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:18 PM

To be honest, theoretically you could see some speed increase based upon the spin speed alone. However, I'm not super-familiar with the whole SCSI -> SATA converter thing. Best I know of, there's only SAS (Serial-Attached-SCSI) to SATA, but I could be wrong - make sure it's not SAS as SCSI because that would not work with this 10k RPM U320 SCSI hard drive.

Also, there's the point of the converter may introduce some latency in your data transfers that would negate some or all this speed increase.

Finally, if it was run on a server, it may be near it's end of life, or have other issues with it.

TBH, you likely would not see a /dramatic/ speed increase. At best, you'll see a speed of 10/7ths the speed you're seeing now. It may be an increase, but again, that converter could introduce latency.

Congrats on the nice find though. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users