Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalled Comodo still trying to access internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Expert Novice

Expert Novice

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:27 AM

I installed Comodo firewall on my new laptop but soon uninstalled again after it crashed while I was trying to connect to the internet using my phone as a modem.
I installed Zone Alarm which seems to be working fine. It keeps alerting me that Comodo Internet Security is trying to access the internet. As far as I can see there is nothing to do with Comodo installed on the machine. It doesn't appear in Add/remove programs, there is no Comodo folder in Program Files and the process in question, cisF313.exe does not appear in the list of running processes in Process Explorer so I'm wondering if there is something else masquerading as cis F313.exe. I have scanned with updated versions Avira and Malwarebytes and both scans found nothing. There were a couple of detections from Avira the other day but they were quarantined and deleted. The Comodo issue has only appeared since then.

Would HJT be the first thing to try?

The machine is a HP Pavilion G6 notebook running an Intel core i5-2410m 2.3ghz processor. 4gb RAM, windows 7 home premium 64 bit o/s.
Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for reading

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:29 AM

Most security products have dedicated removal tools and using Add/Remove Programs will not remove it completely. Comodo is no different. The link below has their removal tool.

http://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/uninstaller-tool-for-comodo-products-t71897.0.html

#3 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:05 PM

Hi Frank, thanks for that link. I have done four passes with the removal. Each time it prompts me to restart and run the tool again.
I wonder how many runs it might need. Does it ever get to the point where it say that's it, I'm finished?

I'll see how it goes for now anyway. If I get any more issues with Comodo popping up I can ask on the Comodo forum.

Thanks again for your help

:-)

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:01 PM

This reply in another topic by our own quietman7 seems quite relevant. Take note of the 'alternative method' with Opswat.

Anti-virus software components insert themselves into the operating systems core and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. If is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the usual method of Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7. In many cases anti-virus vendors provide clean-up utilities on their web sites to remove remnants left behind after unintalling or for a failed uninstall.

Alternatively, you can try using Opswat AppRemover - supported applications list.
alternate download link

However, even after using vendor specific uninstallers and removal tools, they do not always do a comprehensive job and you still may need to manually remove folders and other remnants left behind.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:15 PM

Thanks Animal, I'll have a look at some of those if I still have issues with Comodo.

Cheers

#6 Nemod

Nemod

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:39 AM

Hi guys! So same thing happened to me after uninstalling trying to uninstall Comodo. It f*** my internet connection. After hours of troubleshooting I finally cracked it. It messed up my DNS server for the internet connection. So my fellow sufferers try the following

Oh and Comodo is the most annoying program ever. Worst than any malware I ever had. They pissed me off. Do not install this crap or if you do make shure it is a custom install where you disable geek buddy and so forth. Google it before install!

Kind regards!

#7 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:04 AM

Hi Nemod. I completely agree with you about Comodo. It is truly dreadful. Apart from the things you mention, Comodo Firewall or the full CIS suite are notoriously difficult to uninstall. I gave up on Comodo a long time ago because of numerous problems due to this.

I had the same problem as you (aiong with loads of other issues) of no internet connection. Was it the leftover driver causing it?

This is the ridiculous procedure you need to follow, which I'm sure you did:

https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/most-effective-way-to-reinstall-cis-to-avoidfix-problems-t58620.0.html

And even if you follow this guide to the letter, I know from experience chances are you will still have problems.

Edited by n01paranoid, 14 August 2016 - 03:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users