Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie And Firefox Formatting Script Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joelearl

joelearl

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:31 PM

I have a problem similar to pabarbara.

I have a new computer that came with WinXP. I used AlohaBob's PC Relocator to transfer my files and setting from my old Win98 computer. Now when I browse a website that uses javascript, the formatting on the page is odd. Framing images are gone and text overlaps. Take a look at http://webpages.charter.net/joelearl/browserbad.gif to see what I mean. I tried installing the latest .NET update, hoping that this might overwrite a damaged file, but it did not help. I tried installing Firefox, but it has the same problem! Would Firefox and IE share javascript interpreter files? How can I fix this?

I looked at How to Repair Internet Explorer.
I ran "sfc /scannow", and it ran without incident. I edited the registry mark IE as "uninstalled", but I have not been able to get it reinstall - the only pages I can find at for updates to IE6, and they all say that I have a more recent version already installed.

I have adware and virus protection from AOL; they pronounce the system clean.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:32 AM

FF requires that you install JavaRuntimeEnvironment, since it does not work with the MS proprietary Java engine.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 joelearl

joelearl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:52 PM

I got it! Googling around, I found on Andy Helsby's blog an account of his encounter with the same problem (http://www.absoblogginlutely.net/mtblogarchive/004550.php ). jessepi posted there a suggestion to check if High Contrast was turned on in the display settings. I checked, and it was. I turned it off, and now the pages look right. This is an XP features that causes programs like IE and Firefox to reduced the visual complexity of pages for users with visual impairment. A great feature, now that I understand it, but I had never heard of it before and was mightily confused by it.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:12 AM

Thanks for replying with the solution you found. Your thoughtfulness may help other members who have the same problem.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users