Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Securing Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JayBlitzer

JayBlitzer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:59 PM

Hello,

I recently had a horrible virus take control of my computer.. It shut off my firewall and antivirus as well as opened many ports on my system and set itself up as a server.

I'm extremely paranoid now as I didn't make a windows disc or a backup..

I formatted using the windows recovery with a fresh factory install.. I'm kind of paranoid that the recovery drive may have been altered as well so that I could be re-infected upon formatting. Is this possible? How can I be sure I'm not infected?

I've been trying to close net share as well but no luck. It's sharing all drives and remote options when I go to cmd and type net share.. I've turned off discovery service and stopped server and workstation and set them to manual in services. How can I turn that off permanently? Every time I restart the computer it's open again.

Thank you for your time!

JayBlitzer

(Moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 13 October 2011 - 09:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:26 AM

I formatted using the windows recovery with a fresh factory install..
How can I be sure I'm not infected?

Hi JayBlitzer -
If this has been reformatted back to "factory settings" then this is the time to create your own Recovery DVDs.

Set up any decent Antivirus, I always use a free version, currently Microsoft Security Essentials as it is basically a "set and forget" system.
Also ensure that at a minimum you have Windows Firewall activated, however if you have a 3rd party program installed, then use that.

Without knowing the make / model it is hard to give an exact point to create the DVDs from (usually takes 3 DVDs).
My Toshiba has a built in Recovery Media Creator program to do this. Check your system to see if you have a similar setup.
Post back if you want any more specific information that we may be able to help with.

Regards -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users