Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I find printer driver files on XP disk?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Georgia W

Georgia W

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:55 PM

I'm trying to get an old printer driver from the XP disk. What folders hold the printer drivers? I do not know where to look. Do not know what the folder titles mean. I only have one disk for XP Pro. I am looking for a driver for an old HP Deskjet 520. HP does not have the drivers on their site.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,051 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:24 PM

Have you looked here: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=4157320 for the drivers?
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,793 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:24 PM

You'll either need to have Windows try to install drivers for you (through Device Manager), download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's site (you said they're not there unfortunately), or install the drivers using the disk that came with the printer.

If none of these are viable options for you, I suggest calling the manufacturer and see what they suggest.

EDIT: It looks like Orange Blossom has found the link to download the latest drivers for your printer.

EDIT 2: Removed incorrect information.

Edited by TheShooter93, 11 October 2011 - 11:56 PM.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#4 Georgia W

Georgia W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:47 PM

Yes I have looked there, and here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/searchResults?tmp_product=HP+Deskjet+520+Printer&product=59768&tmp_qt=driver&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en
It says XP has the drivers, but the wizard does not see the printer.
Perhaps the cable is bad? Computer does not see the printer, sigh.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:50 PM

I found the same HP link but there aren't any drivers there. And yes the XP disk does include drivers.

A List of Printer Drivers That Are Included in Windows XP (Article 2 of 5)

This article lists the printers (from the Epson LQ-1500 printer to the IBM QuietWriter III printer) that have printer drivers included in Windows XP.

(your printer is included) I don't know the proper way to extract the drivers from the XP disk however. Hopefully someone will know.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,793 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:55 PM

This article lists the printers (from the Epson LQ-1500 printer to the IBM QuietWriter III printer) that have printer drivers included in Windows XP.

(your printer is included) I don't know the proper way to extract the drivers from the XP disk however. Hopefully someone will know.

I stand corrected.

My apologies for the misinformation.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#7 Georgia W

Georgia W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:24 AM

I changed the cable and restarted the computer. Wizard still does not see the printer. (I was going to blame the rabbit for chewing the cord!) Printer may not be Plug & Play, It's very old. I had an even older one that lasted for YEARS! I hope I can get the drive somewhere. Any third-party site with old drivers around?

#8 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:34 AM

When you right click the printer in device manager and select update driver Then Select No, not at this time click next Then select install from a list or specific location (Advanced) Now select the option Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install click next Now select the make and model for the printer.

But if the printer does not show up in the Device Manager this will not work.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:21 PM

Exactly how is this printer connected to the computer?
Are you using a USB cable or an older LPT1 printer cable?

The drivers are built in to XP.
Go to control panel - printers & faxes - add printer - click next - select local printer.
Then tell it which port to use (LPT1 or USB) depending on how it is connected.
On the next screen go to HP. Under printers select Deskjet520
It should install the drivers for you.

That should be all you need to do.
See if it will print a test page.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:07 PM

After re-reading the posts and looking carefully at the advice given by eyesee I have removed my suggestion.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 October 2011 - 08:13 PM.

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:13 PM

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=bud09187
Follow step 3 or see other steps from this HP Support Document on installing the printer driver.

Tekken

#12 Georgia W

Georgia W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:41 PM

I am using the older LPT1 printer cable. I tried another one. I did choose the LPT1 port. The computer does not see the printer so I cannot proceed to the next step. It is so old it may not be a Plug & Play.

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,051 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:50 PM

By any chance, did you get an installation disk with the printer when you bought it? If so, the drivers you're looking for should be on it.

~ OB :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#14 Georgia W

Georgia W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:58 PM

Thank you "hjayz" and everyone. I must apologize to all of you that have taken the time to help. I used the add printer again, (for the hundredth time) and scrolled down BELOW the company name Hewlett Packard to see the letters HP. This is embarrassing. I simply assumed that Hewlett Packard meant HP, so I stopped there. Once I selected HP, my printer showed up. So sorry. 20 lashes.

I do not know why the menu offers both Hewlett Packard as well as HP, but in the window, only Hewlett Packard showed, (unless one scrolls down), grrr. I hate to tell you how many hours I spent on this and took your time too. My apologies. Now I need to get rid of this entire string (eventually). What a wing-nut.

#15 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,793 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:00 AM

Haha, wow. :lmao:

I'm glad you found the solution. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users