Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bridge

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 harmin5288

harmin5288

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:32 PM

Hi guys. I am new to trying to setup a media network to be able to stream from my laptop to tv. I am very new to this and still trying to figure things out. All my networking knowledge is from youtube vids.

I have something going on and don't understand why it is happening or if it's supposed to. I have a desktop upstairs which has all my media and then a laptop downstairs.

I use my laptop wireless connection as bridge so I can run a cable from laptop to TV.

When I create the bridge, for some reason, I cannot see my desktop on the network...it goes away. As soon as I delete the network bridge, I am able to see the upstairs computer. I haven't got to "streaming" yet, as I am still trying to figure out how everything is supposed to work.

Wondering if you guys can help me out.

Also, what do you recommned to find out what is connected on my network along with ip's. Like somehting that can map out the network that shows whats connected, what's that devices ip, and if it is using any bandwidth.

Thanks in advance guys,

Harmin

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:42 PM

The reason you lose the abilty to see other computers in bridge mode is because the computer essentially becomes nothing more than a repeater for the network traffic it comes in contact with. The adapter can no longer "look" for other devices on the network it is just getting data and forwarding it on to the other end of the bridge.

Are you using a router to connect to wirelessly? If you are intending to stream internet video I would suggest you get one rather than try to connect to the desktop upstairs. It will be a simpler and more dependable setup. There are also wireless bridges availble that could then plug directly into the TV rather than using the laptop. The fans and lights from the laptop will get old really fast when trying to watch something on the TV.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users