Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My HP laptop won't wake from sleep mode upon opening the lid

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 cute0206

cute0206

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:28 PM

i have to press the power button every time instead. all the laptop i've owned before were never like that, opening the lid would've sufficed. i checked power options settings, i don't see "lid open action", only "lid close action" which is set to "sleep" mode. any idea?

Edited by cute0206, 11 October 2011 - 09:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:50 PM

That's a default action either pressing Enter key or Power button to wake up from sleep or hibernate depending on the computer brand. Travel to the power option settings for any other available options.

Tekken

#3 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:01 PM

what would be the other options available you're referring to? i don't see anything remotely related :-(

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:07 PM

You want to close the lid and not put laptop to sleep? Or not have to press a key when opening the lid while on hibernate/sleep?

Tekken

#5 overlord_eric

overlord_eric

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:21 AM

From my understanding sleep mode will require a button press to start up. By having it setup to go into sleep mode when the lid is closed it is not waking up when the lid is opened because it is in sleep mode. If interested you can try changing the lid close function and see if this resolves you lid open dilemma. The good news is if you don't like the result for any reason you already know where and how to change it back.

Edited by overlord_eric, 12 October 2011 - 02:27 AM.

#6 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

yes, i want it to wake from sleep mode when i open the lid without my pressing any button since it goes to sleep mode when i close the lid. that's how all my old laptops always worked,

Edited by cute0206, 12 October 2011 - 11:29 AM.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:47 AM

Later computer models requires user to press a key to enable PC to wake up from sleep or hibernation. So, I guess we have to live with that. :)

Tekken

#8 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:49 PM

haha, that might not be true, my friend bought a new toshiba which wakes from lid being opened. i just asked him

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:18 PM

Hi cute -
Just a quick question - -
Is your laptop the same make and model as your friends ? Some makes / models are not the same.

However I do believe there is a setting somewhere in Control Panel for adjusting this, on my Toshiba laptop.

Thank You -
EDIT - The power restart option also depends if you are on battery or plugged in -

Edited by noknojon, 12 October 2011 - 03:26 PM.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:28 PM

Not all computers are designed to have those certain wake-up functions. If you have one and the other does not, just get used to pressing a SINGLE KEY.

Tekken

#11 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:37 PM

i have an HP probook, the last hp i had didn't seem to have this issue

#12 mnashp

mnashp

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:45 AM

before my HP laptop C-drive failed, the Windows 7/64 Home Premium installed allowed the unit to wake from sleep by raising the lid.

the version that the tech installed when the drive was replaced does not appear to have this option, even though it too is a Windows 7/64 Home Premium. Now i have to press the power button and it takes MUCH MUCH longer to wake up. No more instant up like it was before. The prior windows was an HP OEM. The one that was installed post-repair is a Dell OEM. 

so it is definitely not about the machine. It's something to do with the version of the version (version²) of windows.

i am unable to find my recovery disc for this unit, so my old windows and it's instant wake-up option are lost and gone forever. Unless someone has a better idea?

if so, i would LOVE to hear it. Every reminder of what that person did to my notebook (oh, there are so many things!) just galls me. I've spent almost two weeks restoring and updating and installing drivers. And the altered wake function is the first and most frequent reminder. Before coffee even.

(And yes, i've learned to be more specific about how i label and store my recovery discs. I've had too many pc's over too many years and got sloppy. My bad!)

Edited by mnashp, 24 May 2014 - 06:45 AM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:29 AM

When you go to power options, make sure the action to take when lid is closed is Sleep and not Hibernate.

Define-actions.png?0479ea

#14 mnashp

mnashp

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:10 AM

Thank you. I'm new here and can't seem to attach an image, but my settings are and have been correct. The computer sleeps fine when i close the lid. It's what happens when i open the lid that is the problem.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:26 AM

There is a System Device called ACPI Lid in Device Manager. When you Right click and select Properties does it say the driver is working properly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users