Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse cursor randomly clicks links while moving?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ricepigeon

Ricepigeon

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:45 PM

I've had a problem thats been persistent throughout the past week. Sometimes while I'm browsing a website and I try to move my mouse cursor, it will sometimes click on a link that it passes over, even if I didn't click on it. This tends to get annoying especially if the site has ads on it. At first I thought it may have been my laptop's "tap to click" feature but I knew that I had it disabled months ago, so I checked to see if it was still disabled, and it is. This problem also occured when I was in the process of removing a previous infection but persisted even afterward, and no spyware or virus detections pop up. I'm thinking it may have something to do with some registry values that were changed to solve an issue I was having with automatic key strokes, since sometimes if I press two keys at once and let them go it will act as if I'm holding the key I first pressed, which gets annoying and irritating while trying to play certain games. I'm using an Acer Aspire 5517 with Windows 7 installed in case it's a software or hardware issue with either one that I'm not aware of.

EDIT: On one instance I do recall leaving the cursor over a link by accident and, upon moving my hand away from the keypad, it would load the link about a second later, which led me to believe that some kind of malware may be involved.

Edited by Ricepigeon, 11 October 2011 - 08:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:05 PM

Try going to the manufacturer's website and downloading the latest drivers for your trackpad.

If that does nothing, try disabling the trackpad and plugging in a USB mouse. If the behavior stops, you know the problem is with the trackpad.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users