Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limited or no connectivity

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Fensty61

Fensty61

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:30 PM

Background: I am running windows xp. Recently followed bleeping computers to rid my computer of the blue cloud malware. Installed malwarebytes and was grateful enough that I bought their software.

Since then, I have encountered a new problem. I have "limited or no connectivity". I am connecting via a wireless net gear router. Other computers still connect with no problem. The laptop with the problem also would not connect to a different router at work which it previously was able to do. So the problem appears to be isolated to one laptop.

I followed a forum to reconfig the ip and when done I get this error message after doing ipconfig/renew

Windows ip configuration

no operation can be performed on Local Area Network while it has it's media disconnected.
An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless network connection 2 : A socket operation encountered a dead network

Jeepers. What is going on ?

Edited by hamluis, 11 October 2011 - 08:19 PM.
Moved from XP to Networking.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:37 PM

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands, each followed by the Enter key:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#3 Fensty61

Fensty61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:36 PM

Thank you. Did exactly what you said but did not work.

More details:

Message states:

Wireless network connection 2

This connection has limited or no connectivity.
You might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources. For more information, click this message.

When I click on the message, and then try to let it repair itself, the network connection details screen shows this

IP address. 169.254.67.235
Subnet mask. 255.255.0.0
Default gateway
DNS Server
WINS Server

Thank you for your help

#4 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:37 PM

Click Start.

In the search bar type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Click the + next to the pane Network Adapters so it expands, showing all installed hardware.

Take a screenshot of this window and attach the file in your next post.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

If you have no internet connection on the problem PC, transferring the screenshot via flashdrive or CD to a working computer is possible. If this is not practical for you, a detailed listing of the requested information will suffice, along with reports of any ! ? or X's next to the entries.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#5 Fensty61

Fensty61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:52 PM

A screenshot is pretty hard to do since only my iPad is working. So I will type the info here

Network adapters
Aventail VPN Adapter
Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
NVIDIA nForce Networking Enumerator

If you need the screenshot, i can send it from work tomorrow

Thank you

#6 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

If this is not practical for you, a detailed listing of the requested information will suffice, along with reports of any ! ? or X's next to the entries.

Was there anything of that nature?

#7 Fensty61

Fensty61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:58 PM

Forgot to mention

One device has a yellow question mark. Behind the question mark it says "Other devices"
when I open the plus sign it says
Yellow question mark and explanation point followed by "Unknown device"

Is this important ?

#8 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:01 PM

Are you able to connect in Safe Mode With Networking?

How to Access Safe Mode With Networking

While the computer is turning on, tap F8 repeatedly until a black screen with white text appears. Using your arrow keys highlight the option Safe Mode With Networking and hit Enter.

Note: If you're using Windows XP, connect to your modem or router with an Ethernet cable, then follow these directions.

#9 Fensty61

Fensty61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:12 PM

I was able to get to safe mode with networking but firefox cannot find the server. Looks like the same problem. So I would say that was not successful.

#10 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:14 PM

Were you connected via Ethernet cable to the router? (You said you're running Windows XP)

#11 Fensty61

Fensty61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:16 PM

No. I was trying to do it wireless. Shall I try it hard wired ?

I have to go to bed now. Thank you for your kind help. Will have to resume this tomorrow evening. Good night.

#12 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:17 PM

Yes, you should try wired (as was said in post #8 if you're running Windows XP).

Goodnight. :)

#13 Fensty61

Fensty61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:08 PM

So, l tried to connect my computer to the network in safe mode via a cable. Firefox or windows explorer could not find the server. My daughter is able to connect to the wireless router and my wife's computer is able to connect via a wired connection.

#14 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:09 PM

What's the make and model of the problem PC?

#15 Fensty61

Fensty61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:24 PM

HP Pavilion dv6000

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users