Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE ads pop up when IE not in use

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 richardinct

richardinct

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

The problem I have now is:

1) Internet Explorer ads pop up every 10 or 20 minutes, although IE is not open. (btw I never use IE – strictly Opera and Firefox. Probably been years since IE's been opened.)

2) All my desktop icons are greyed out. But if I right-click then uncheck 'Hidden', the icon becomes un-greyed out. Either way, they all seem to function properly.

Windows XP Pro, Symantec Anti-Virus, MalwareBytes free version, Spybot Search & Destroy free version.

The following problems started at the same time, but were solved by a System Restore:

1) Balloons in the Quick Launch popping up saying things about my hard disk failing; at risk of losing all my data, etc. (Were these fake? The wording and punctuation were odd but sometimes Microsoft's like that)

2) Sudden cascade of about 20 identical error message boxes, saying “delayed write failed. Failed to save all the components for the file \System32\0000390c. The file is corrupted or unreadable. This error may be caused by a PC hardware problem”

3) A bogus 'System Scan' interface popped up. It looked almost identical to the one here:

http://bit.ly/rtTULO (link goes to a picture in the Bleeping Computer thread "Unhide.exe - A introduction as to what this program does")

- except mine was about scanning the computer for viruses or something, rather than a 'main' interface like in the picture.

What I did:

1) Held down power button to shut off computer
2) Re-started in Safe Mode
3) Ran System Restore.
4) Ran full MalwareBytes scan. Found 2 items both called “Trojan.Fake.Alert”. Removed them.
5) Ran full Symantec scan. Nothing found.
6) Ran full Sypbot Search & Destroy scan. Found 4 or so tracking cookies from places like Doubleclick. Deleted them.

Result:

Everything appears fine and back to normal *except* for the problems mentioned above: IE popups and greyed-out desktop icons.

Many thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,793 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:36 PM

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread HERE and include a link to this thread.

Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#3 richardinct

richardinct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:55 PM

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread HERE and include a link to this thread.

Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

OK I will follow your instructions. Also please see my new post which includes a problem that I wasn't aware of until just now.

Let me know if I should link to this thread, or my newer post.

Thanks again.

#4 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,793 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:20 PM

The link you post here should be the link to the thread in the VTSM Removal section.

Edited by TheShooter93, 11 October 2011 - 08:21 PM.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#5 richardinct

richardinct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:30 AM

Sorry, I just can't seem make it past the first steps in the VTSM Preparation guide. It seems like backing up my data would infect the external HD I put the data on. Should I do it anyway?

Thanks

#6 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,793 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:56 AM

You'll want to backup personal data, yes.

Once you've performed the backup, you can reiterate this question to the Malware Response Team when you post your new thread.

#7 richardinct

richardinct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:54 PM

You'll want to backup personal data, yes.

Great, thanks! I can move forward now.

#8 richardinct

richardinct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:52 PM

I have followed all the instructions and just now posted in VTSM Removal forum, including my DDS and GMER results:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic423283.html

thanks again

#9 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,793 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:54 PM

You're welcome.

Good luck. :thumbup2:

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:35 AM

Hello richardinct,

In order to expedite your receiving assistance, I have merged your two topics in the log forum into one which can be found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic423082.html

Now for the hard and frustrating part: waiting.

Now that you have posted a log, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users