Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer Randomly Freezing, Happening More and More Frequently

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Fatalpop

Fatalpop

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:57 PM

I built the computer I'm currently on back in mid May of 2011. I put a lot of money (about $1500) into this machine so that it would last me a long time, but now I'm having some major problems with it randomly freezing. The first time this happened was once about three weeks ago, then it happened once last week, and so far three times this week(twice today alone). It doesn't look like one single thing is causing it, although 2 of the 5 times so far that it has happened, I did notice that it was triggered when I ran a program(once it was firefox, the other time it was minecraft, but I have since then run both program with no problem). Another thing to add is before my computer actually completely freezes, everything just starts lagging(mouse, etc) extremely bad for about 10-15 sec.

I'll also add that I'm 100% sure a virus is not causing this, and I have run cleaning programs/defrags.

I have attached a dxdiag to this post in hopes that it will help determine the issue I am having.

Thank you very much for the help.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:26 PM

Freezing can be caused by many situations, as can slowness.

Check your system temperatures lately?

Run a hard drive diagnostic?

How about some data on this system (PSU, motherboard, RAM)?

What changes occurred 3 weeks ago that may be related?

Louis

#3 Fatalpop

Fatalpop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

Freezing can be caused by many situations, as can slowness.

Check your system temperatures lately?

Run a hard drive diagnostic?

How about some data on this system (PSU, motherboard, RAM)?

What changes occurred 3 weeks ago that may be related?

Louis

As far as temps go, that's not an issue. I believe a HDD diag was automatically ran on start-up after I had to hit the reset switch the last time my comp froze earlier today, and no errors were found(assuming that's the HDD diag you're talking about, it was just a black screen with gray text that was scanning all of my files and everything).

-System info-
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD55
PSU: Corsair TX850W
Video: GTX 560 Twin Frozr II Ti (SLI)

It doesn't seem to be an issue with my video cards because there is never any kind of screen tearing/glitching. And I also can't think of any major changes that happened or may have triggered this when it started 3 weeks ago.

Edited by Fatalpop, 11 October 2011 - 08:41 PM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:59 PM

What protection softwares do you have? Firewall, Antivirus, Antispyware/Malware. Do not use just any registry cleaners. It would still be more clear if you download a hardware monitor temperature software to check on thermal events. I am not a fan of defragging most specially frequent usage, but that's just me. A hard drive diagnostic as suggested by hamluis or use Windows Error-checking tool(Right-click system partition-Properties-Tools)then checkmark both boxes.

Tekken

#5 Fatalpop

Fatalpop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:11 PM

What protection softwares do you have? Firewall, Antivirus, Antispyware/Malware. Do not use just any registry cleaners. It would still be more clear if you download a hardware monitor temperature software to check on thermal events. I am not a fan of defragging most specially frequent usage, but that's just me. A hard drive diagnostic as suggested by hamluis or use Windows Error-checking tool(Right-click system partition-Properties-Tools)then checkmark both boxes.

I have malwarebytes PRO for antivirus(I know a LOT about viruses and how they work, that's why I'm positive that I don't have one), and I just use the windows firewall, I never use any registry cleaners because I know it's pretty dangerous to do, and I use gadgets/Core Temp to monitor my GPU/CPU temps. My temps hover around 30-45 deg. celcius when in idle/im just surfing the web, and hover in the 50s when I'm gaming. I use Tune-Up Utilities for system care, along with CCleaner. Tune-Up Utilities automatically defrags and cleans stuff when my computer is idle for a certain amount of time, and from what I understand my computer already did a Hard Drive Diag on boot-up the last time I had to hit the reset switch when my comp froze earlier today, and there were no errors found.

Edited by Fatalpop, 11 October 2011 - 09:17 PM.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:31 PM

I have malwarebytes PRO for antivirus

Both Free and Pro version of Malwarebytes is not an Antivirus. Check the site and protection level description.

A hard drive diagnostic as suggested by hamluis or use Windows Error-checking tool(Right-click system partition-Properties-Tools)then checkmark both boxes.

I would suggest this as no harm will be done. A cross reference diagnostic of different result.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users