Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cyclic Redundancy

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Scuppers

Scuppers

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:01 PM

Gooday All, I am trying to uninstall a flight simulator game called Lock On from my computer. It gets about 1/2 way through the uninstall and a message about being unable to remove a file and 'cyclic redundancy check' appears.

Is there any way past this annoying message? I have tried safe mode and uninstalling it, but to no avail. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks.

ps. XP Home is the operating system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:30 PM

The following is a link to a page that explains cyclic redundancy
http://www.4d.com/docs/CMU/CMU79909.HTM

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 12:41 AM

A disk error check may cure that CRC error -
Schedule an Error Check (Scandisk).
How to find scandisk: Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now. In the window that opens tick 'Automatically fix file system errors' and 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'. When you click 'Start' Windows will say the error checker cannot run now and do you want it to run at the next boot? Click 'yes' and then reboot.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:01 AM

A cyclic redundancy check error message may be a indication that the hdd failing. I'd run your hdd manufacturers diagnostic utility on it.

See this post here for HDD links.

#5 Scuppers

Scuppers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:16 AM

A cyclic redundancy check error message may be a indication that the hdd failing. I'd run your hdd manufacturers diagnostic utility on it.

Ewww, I hope not. Only had the computer about 4 months. :thumbsup:

#6 Scuppers

Scuppers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:32 PM

A disk error check may cure that CRC error -
Schedule an Error Check (Scandisk).
How to find scandisk: Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now. In the window that opens tick 'Automatically fix file system errors' and 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'. When you click 'Start' Windows will say the error checker cannot run now and do you want it to run at the next boot? Click 'yes' and then reboot.

hth :thumbsup:

That did the trick mate thanks muchly. Got rid of the seemingly ungetriddable of file. When next you are in Tassie, I'll have to shout you a drink or 3. The computer now seems quite slow to start now though. Will do a defrag and have a bit more of a play with it and see what goes. Thanks again.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:18 PM

Glad I could help! :thumbsup:
(I've booked my cabin on the Ferry, I'll be right down for those beers. :flowers: )

Have a look at CCleaner:
CCleaner
Do NOT use the 'Applications' or 'Issues' tabs, they are for expert users only.

It can get rid of a lot of garbage for you, then defrag after that.

Slow computers can be due to malware:
Is your Anti-virus program current and updated? If not you can download a free anti-virus program here (US Link): AVG Free
When you have downloaded and installed it you need to go online to register it and update it. (It will probably prompt you to do this.)
Once you have installed AVG uninstall your old Anti-Virus software because you should only have one running on your system.

Do you have a range of anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and all the anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

See if that helps :trumpet:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 03:18 AM

I would also add that slow boot up could inidicate that the drive is failing. I'd still run the hdd diagnostic test on the drive to be safe.

#9 Sceadeau

Sceadeau

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:39 AM

I agree with the previous posted. Any time you see CRC errors (even on a new HD), it could be an early warning sign for a failing drive. Since it is so early in its life cycle, you could easily get it replaced for free if it is having problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users