Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reject/eject

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 harmonyal

harmonyal

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:56 PM

The disc drive on my Dell opens fine as long as there is a disc in the drive. When the drive is empty and I press open, it makes a noise but fails to open and I must do so by inserting a paper clip into the small hole. Is there an adjustment or tip to fix this issue?

Thanks, Alan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chmod

chmod

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:16 PM

Just out of curiosity, does the drive eject when you right-click on it in My Computer and select Eject?

#3 harmonyal

harmonyal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:29 PM

Not when it's empty but when there is a disc inside it does.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:02 PM

Its a mechanical problem from the disc drive itself. Had 2 of these fixed by a friend from rubber bands like to adjusting timing gears. But considering the years of this drive, had decided to replace them.

Tekken

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:55 PM

Odd that it works when there is something in the drive.

If this is a tower unit, and it has some age on it it might be time to replace the drive.
Tiger Direct has them for about 20 bucks.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:36 PM

This is something I encountered constantly with some of the low-grade OEM DVD-drives (burners and readers alike). It's just a case of replace the drive for me, because of the annoyance of trying to take apart the drive and adjust the gears. I chalk it up to the weight of a disc in the drive makes the tray (and subsequent gears etc) stay in the proper position, and otherwise they jam up. It happened on a replacement drive I used for an Xbox too, I think that was a Samsung? But I'm not sure.

#7 harmonyal

harmonyal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:58 AM

Yes. It is an older Samsung (Dvd Master 16E Model SD-616 mfg 6-2004. I opened it and could find no apparent damage. I've decided that the best thing to do, short of replacing the unit, is to just leave a blank disc inside. That way I don't have to fetch a paper clip when I want to use the drive.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:14 PM

Now thats a pretty darned ingenious solution if you ask me!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:32 PM

That is an ingenious solution. Ironically: that is the exact model of drive I experienced the problem with when I replaced my old XBOX DVD-Rom with that. Sadly it was the best-reviewed drive to replace the original mfr drive with, guess Samsung just had a run of ones with that problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users