Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Hard Drive Issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ShrtCut

ShrtCut

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:56 PM

I am running XP Home edition with 2 hard drives. The OS is on a 60gig WesternDigital designated as C:, and I have a 20gig WesterDigital installed as D: drive, both are connected on the same strip.

When I got the new 60gig and put the OS on it, as well as most other programs I use, I thought I would add the old 20gig and use it for games and gaming applications. This worked out fine for about 2 months, then all of a sudden XP wanted to format the D: drive because it was unaccessable :thumbsup: I tried several things like unplugging the D: drive, but the system wouldnt boot at all then. I tried to format D: but it was taking all night to get 52% of that 20gig drive (normally 15mins). So I wound up re-formating the whole system less than 2 months ago and both drives have worked fine, untill today,,,Now I am back in the same situation :flowers: and dont really want to format the whole system again

One thing I would like to bring up, may not have anything to do with anything, but I did a defrag of both drives the night before I started having problems with the D: drive. I had removed some unwanted programs, files, etc. from the C: and run defrag on it, and thought I might as well do it to D:,,,,,,So I have 2 questions that maybe you cant help me with,,,,,,,,,,

1. what could possibly cause this to happen?
2. How can I remove the 20gig drive and leave the 60gig intact?

I am thinking that if I can change the system config and remove the d drive that I wont lose any data from the c drive,,,and possibly add another drive later :trumpet:

Any help or advise sure would be appreciated, thanks,

Shrty
Posted Image

OUTLAW

Mazda RX7- "They had to sedate it during assembly",,,from Online Car&Driver
Drive It Like You Stole It

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:18 PM

When you setup a second hard drive XP put system files on there drive. If you delete them that could be your problem.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 ShrtCut

ShrtCut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:12 AM

That is a possibility, although remote, it would explain why it dont work

So how can I remove the bad drive and leave the other working?
Posted Image

OUTLAW

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:23 AM

Unplug it? I don't think you have to do anything special. If you want to try and recover the D:\ drive you could try... Starrt>Run>scandisk /scannow and see if it will restore those file that may be missing.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 ShrtCut

ShrtCut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:37 AM

I tried several things like unplugging the D: drive, but the system wouldnt boot at all then.

Unplugging it dont work :thumbsup:

I will try the scandisk and get back 2u :flowers:
Posted Image

OUTLAW

#6 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:56 AM

This is the exact reason why I never install a slave drive under the control of Win XP. My personal opinion is you getter more stability if you unplug your OS drive >>>> partition and format your salve drive while its being seen as the only drive present (unplug the power from boot drive) then Windows is FORCED to write the drive parameters for the slave drive to the SLAVE drive >>>> not the boot drive nor will it make the OS drive and the slave drive co-dependant (very common win-xp problem) by the way >>>> this never happens with Fat32 file system; but its a VERY poor idea to use Fat32 on drives larger than 127gig; in fact they will become unstable and overwrite in ohter partitions once you store data past the 127 gig mark unless you used Partition magic or similar partition and cluster re-sizer >>>> PM will modify the cluster size to work with the bigger drives >>>> windows based bootdisks and installs DO NOT do this.

Bottom line: you will be either stuck with another reformat or use some hard drive recovery program to get things working again ... but most likely it will become unstable again.

In your shoes >>>>> I would zero fill the drives (both of them) dariks boot & nuke (free) wipe & erase the drives >>>> get them to a like new "empty " condition
then Partition and format the Master drive >>>> install the OS
then unplug the OS drive >>>>>>
wipe & erase the slave drive >>>> partition & format the slave drive while its alone >>>>> then when you reconnect all drives to the system >>>> the slave being in the middle of the cable with the CS (cable select) jumper activated you should see your proper drive letter assignments
example: C drive = 60 gig D drive= 20 gig

dont hesitate to ask more questions : you will receive plenty of help to assist you

regards

joe :thumbsup:

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:48 AM

This can happen if you originally had the 20 gB drive as a boot drive. Windows will access the boot files on the 20 gB drive to boot from - then will load Windows from the 60 gB drive (happened to me, both on 2 IDE drives and on a SATA and IDE combination).

The solution is (barring any hardware problems that could cause this) is to format the 20 gB drive. This may break your WindowsXP - so you'll have to do a repair installation (instructions here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm )

To ensure that the problem doesn't recur (it did when I had the SATA and IDE combination) - remove the 20 gB drive before doing the repair install. Then, once Windows is back up and running, add the 20 gB back into the mix.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Sprite_Feedback

Sprite_Feedback

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:35 PM

This is the exact reason why I never install a slave drive under the control of Win XP. My personal opinion is you getter more stability if you unplug your OS drive >>>> partition and format your salve drive while its being seen as the only drive present (unplug the power from boot drive) then Windows is FORCED to write the drive parameters for the slave drive to the SLAVE drive >>>> not the boot drive nor will it make the OS drive and the slave drive co-dependant (very common win-xp problem)

Never encountered this problem. The only problem i have is when installing XP with more than one drive present at the time XP sometimes wants to put the boot sector on a different drive, esp when you try to install on SATA when there are standard ATA drives present. Currently have 4 drives in this machine and have had more than 2 drives in every pc i have built/rebuilt for the last 4 years or so. Which is a fair number of machines and never encountered this problem. I always use XP to manage the drives/partitions either its own tools or Partition Magic.

Shrty

Back to the issue present. It could be that your drive is failing. Go to the Western Digital website download their diagnostic software and check to see if the drive is ok. To be honest i would not be so inclined to trust it even if it comes up clean. It's probaly no spring chicken that 20gig. Do not do anything with the drive until you get it tested.

g

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users