Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe to put a 2.5'' SATA HD into a 12V powered 3.5'' HD SATA enclosure?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bemaniac

bemaniac

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

Okay so my laptop won't boot XP for whatever reason and I need to back up the files before a reformat so I need to connect the 2.5'' SATA HD to a desktop. I have a 3.5'' SATA/IDE external enclosure that connects to the desktop via USB. The 2.5'' fits in because they are both SATA but whatever is in the enclosure is powered by a 12V adapter that plugs directly in to the wall. I know 2.5'' HDs only need 5V so I'm kind of worried about plugging it in, not sure if it'll fry or not. I've Googled this up and down and from what I've seen people do it all the time by plugging the 2.5'' HD into the desktop but the desktop PSU has diff power rails so I'm assuming the 2.5'' HD knows only to use the 5V one. With the external enclosure, it's just a power adapter directly into the wall, it says 12V 2000 mA on the back. Anyone ever done this before and it worked? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:16 PM

Since it is a SATA drive it makes it easier. As long as your motherboard has an open SATA port and you have an extra SATA power plug from your power supply just hook it up like any other drive. Unlike the old IDE where notebook drives and desktop drives had different connector setups in SATA they are identical.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users