Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Computer Keeps Freezing?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TabbyKretsch

TabbyKretsch

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:06 PM

Hello! As my title says, my computer keeps freezing, it's really starting to bug me! I dunno what it is wrong with it :/

I game alot on my PC and sometimes it freezes, making a dzzzttttt noise, I cannot ctrl+alt+delete, and I am forced to restart.

Any help please? :/ Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:11 PM

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) Does the same thing happen in safe mode?

3) Open task manager to the Processes tab, sort on the cpu column with highest usage at the top. When the system freezes is there a specific process hogging the cpu?

4) What are you doing when the system freezes?

Please provide as much information as you can relevant to your problem and your system.

#3 TabbyKretsch

TabbyKretsch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:27 PM

I'll be very honest, I don't know much about computers. :S

Normally, what I'm doing is playing a game on my computer
(Example: World of Tanks, Combat Arms, Red Orchestra 2) -- Or sometimes browsing YouTube, my computer is really annoying and makes me restart it countlessly,
I've also did alot of computer scans, and detected no viruses. But my friends and my internet research, quote: "Frequent program crashes. Programs crash often, unfortunately, but if applications begin to crash excessively often, you should become suspicious." which makes me a little panickly, since in the past 2 hours, my game has did that about 3-5 times.

I have never tried safe mode, do you advise that I do?

The task manager when it;s running smoothly is about 5-10% CPU usage, when my system freezes, I CANNOT do ANYTHING until I restart my system.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:42 PM

Please answer my first question above.

Also, you say you run frequent scans. With what?

#5 TabbyKretsch

TabbyKretsch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:50 PM

Well. It all worked fine a year or so ago, then it started to freeze alot, I have 811 GB free of 931 GB, no new HW or SW.

I used to scan alot with these:

Malware Bytes
Windows Security Essentinals
Avast!

Avast! I am using at the moment.

Sorry I'm pretty useless at this :S

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:04 PM

1) This has been going on for a year???

2) Do you have both MSE and Avast installed?

3) How much ram is installed?

4) Open device manager - any yellow or red symbols?

4) If you ran scans with both Avast and MalwareBytes and it there are no issues, and if there are no errors in device manager, let's do the following:

• To check the ram, download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.
  • To run checkdisk, right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.
  • As a last resort we can do a selective startup to make sure that it isn't something starting with the system causing the problem. It's a time consuming process, so we'll hold off until we've done everything else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users