Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Re-installing Xp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 float1ng1nspace

float1ng1nspace

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:53 PM

So this summer, one of my computers decided to die on me. I dont know what kind of malicious software got downloaded onto, but at the end of the day, it wouldn't start up.

So today I decide to take a look at it, and try to reinstall windows XP on it with the cdrom I have. It was setting up the installation when I hit this screen.

"Windows XP Home Editiion Set Up

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the up and down arrow keys to sleect an item in the list.

To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press enter.
To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press c.
To delete the selected partition press D."

Then in the box that is supposed to list the space it says the following:

"38162 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi
<setup cannot access this disk.>"

Can someone explain to me what happened, why it happened, what it all means, how to fix it, and if you know anything about accomplishing world peace or eternal youth, gimme a little info on that too.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:40 PM

Did you reformat the hard drive first?

This article describes how to partition and format a hard disk with Microsoft Windows XP. Learn about your partitioning and formatting options, what to consider before you partition or format your hard disk, and how to partition and format your hard disk. Additionally, this article contains links to resources that can help you troubleshoot if problems occur.
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=313348

#3 float1ng1nspace

float1ng1nspace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:55 AM

I attempted to partition and format the hard disk, according to the link you provided, but I immediately reach a screen that says the following:

A Problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you ahve adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any bios updates. DIsable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable compnents, restart you computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information

***STOP: 0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0xF91F6c0B, OxF8E03800, 0x0000000)

*** setupdd.sys - address F91F6C0B base at F91CD000. datestamp 3b7d8507

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users