Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Problems

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jskill

Jskill

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:45 AM

a week ago or so, my computer started freezing, mostly when i played wow. screen would turn black and it would just lock up for a few seconds, or occasionally just freeze permanently forcing restart. tried updating drivers, which worsened the problem.

it runs fine in safe mode.

im on a ~2 year old asus laptop with vista 64bit.

graphics card is nvidia geforce 9800m GS.

tried resetting driver back to original standard, to limited success. still blackscreens, but not as often.

when i had the top driver installed, it would crash constantly and completely randomly. with current original driver, it generally only crashes when i try to watch a video, or sometimes when i play wow.

please help if possible. i can't easily afford a new video card right now, so i would like to know definitively if the problem is in the card or the driver or something else entirely.

attached is a picture of the error message i get after it blackscreens.

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

if you need any further information, dont hesitate to ask, but also dont be afraid to explain how i obtain said information.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jskill

Jskill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:21 AM

any ideas? am i forgetting/missing something here?

#3 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:57 PM

When you updated drivers, was it from nVidia or from Asus?

Have you contacted Asus support on this?

It sounds like it could be either a hardware fault on the video chipset, or could be OS corruption in some way.

Also, "replacing a video card" doesn't really apply so much to a laptop unless it's a specialized gaming laptop with a dedicated video card -- which it's not.

However, given that it says "Display Driver stopped responding" I'm inclined to believe it's software.

#4 Jskill

Jskill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:03 PM

first from nvidia, then from asus, and i have contacted asus tech support, to no avail.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:36 AM

Hello jskill and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

If you check my profile under my system specs you'd see I have an Asus motherboard along with an Nvidia GeForce 6200 AGP video card.

I experienced the same issues as you with the occasional message popping up that my graphics driver quit working and windows recovered it.

My Asus A7V8X motherboard is currently out of commission because I am currently replacing the AGP port on that motherboard for other reasons.

I am curious what operating system you are currently using, my system had windows 7 home premium 32 bit installed.

I am currently doing some research on this issue because it not only affects Nvidia branded video cards, but ATI video cards are experiencing the same issues with Windows 7 operating systems.

Chances are your error logs mention your DirectX and your video drivers as the cause of the problem. However, this has not been proven to be the exact cause.

My research will continue as soon as I get my motherboard back into commission, however it appears the issue is related to a registry entry that is set shy of the required timeout for the graphics card to respond to a request from the operating system.

When the graphics card does not respond within the set time limit, the system temporally crashes, even though it did not crash, windows assumes it did and throws an error stating your video crashed and it recovered.

The fact is the recovery was simply the graphics card responding on time, but it was slower then windows expected, so it assumes a crash and recovery.

I want to experiment with the registry tweaks before recommending them to anyone, so please hang in there until I get this new 124 pin AGP slot soldered into my motherboard (should be by Monday if all goes well)

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 Jskill

Jskill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:33 PM

sorry for the delayed response, had temporary net issues, currently scrounging around for any little scraps of wifi my laptop can sniff up.

i'm running vista 64bit, but your description there has me feeling optimistic. if you need any other information, i'll check back as much as possible and supply any data i can.

please keep me updated if you have any success.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:03 PM

Well, if you wish to read my rant about my video related dilemma please check and read this thread created by me. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic423849.html

Its a long story so hope you have time to read it. LOL! It's as if I was writing a book!

Here is an interesting topic I found on the Nvidia forum board, read the whole thing, it covers a lot and was written by an Admin of the forum board.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=65161

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 20 October 2011 - 12:16 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 Jskill

Jskill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:14 AM

read through your rant, it was very thorough and informative.

basically anything that's abbreviated in it is just received by me as moonspeak, but i did catch that replacing the video card did nothing.

im glad i read that before i ran out and stole 150 bucks to buy a new video card lol.

i'll read through the nvidia forum admin post after my morning coffee, but if nothing from that helps me, i'll be at my wits end.

my question is, if i were to reformat, would that have a good chance of solving the problem?

all of this is so much work for a lazy novice like me, but so worth it if the end result is being able to youtube my little pony again.

#9 Jskill

Jskill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

ok i went ahead and reformatted, which i had been meaning to anyway, and it didn't help.

which adds a whole new layer of hurtin' and annoyance to this problem.

any advice? what do i do now? i'm at a complete dead end as far as my own capacity is concerned

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:45 PM

It very well could be a hardware problem, there were quite a few laptops that shipped with faulty Nvidia graphics chips.

I guess we could say it was the graphic chips internal design, of course with problems like this the blame is often put on the other hardware.

What is the make and model number of this laptop, perhaps I can come up with a tutorial that can help you open your laptop and check for issues in the area of the graphics chip.

Bruce.

#11 Jskill

Jskill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:17 PM

ASUS Notebook G50VT Series (Best Buy Edition.. not sure if that matters for schematic purposes, but it differentiates between bestbuy and non-bestbuy for factory original drivers on the Asus website)

Though I think I would rather have a professional open it up, to be honest. It's not that I'm necessarily a complete butterfingers, but I
a] don't like the idea of possibly voiding my warranty which I don't even know if I have, and
b] have a history of murdering electronics with a combination of curiosity and ineptitude.

If you think it's somewhere between safe-ish and foolproof, I'll give it a try, but otherwise, I could really use a recommendation on a good computer diagnostic/repair team (Geek Squad etc. Which would be the best in your opinion?) keeping in mind a budget cap of about 50 dollars.

Or alternatively, any idea how to check the status or existence of a possible warranty? I bought it at Best Buy, but I simply can't remember if I opted into the warranty or not, and don't know what the duration would be if I did.

By the way, thank you again for your extended patience in dealing with me.

Edited by Jskill, 22 October 2011 - 08:17 PM.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:44 AM

Well you could check with Asus just the same, some Asus products were covered for 2 or 3 years, that is if you registered your product back when you bought it.

Seriously though, if you feel like you may do more harm than good to your laptop, it might be best to look in your local telephone directory for a local computer repair shop.

I am not sure about best buy's contacts, but you can ask them if they have a contract with a computer repair shop and it it can be sent out.

Mind you though, labor charges can be as little as $60.00 or more just to have a tech look at it before the repair costs are added in to the total bill.

But you will have a warranty covering you if anything goes wrong a month after you get it back.

You could also check on the Asus web site for qualified repair businesses nationwide.

Bruce.

#13 Jskill

Jskill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:55 AM

I'll do just that.

If you have any new insights into possible causes of this manner of error, which aren't resolved by altering drivers, and aren't resolved by reformatting, but are resolved by operating in safe mode, please don't be afraid to contact me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users