Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with graphics card?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 XuzI

XuzI

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:18 AM

I purchased a Geforce 8500GT PCIe from a person. He promised me it worked great, but when I plug it into my computer... it works for a while then starts to artifact.

I have done the following to try to fix this problem:

Update/Remove Drivers
Buy new PSU with higher Watts
Uninstall and Reinstall
Reboot computer
Make sure desktop is getting airflow

None seem to help. I tried it a bunch of times but it keeps artifacting then it just freezes my computer and I have to put in my old graphics card.

Is the card bad?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

The steps you have taken sound as though you have exhausted most conventional troubleshooting steps.

If you run it with the case open, does the cooling device on the video card function (fan spins up, etc)?

If you suspect overheating, you may be able to download software from nVidia (or 3rd party software like SpeedFan) which may allow you to monitor the reported GPU temperature to see if it is getting to extra-high levels.

When you say "new PSU with higher Watts" -- Exactly what PSU did you purchase? Did you check on the Antec Power Supply calculator to determine what wattage would be a minimum necessary for the hardware in your computer?

#3 XuzI

XuzI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:57 PM

Thanks for the response,

I don't notice the fan speeding up or slowing down depending on if I have the side casing on or not.
The guy who sold it to me told me it was a 8600gt, and gave me a link to its specs. Well its not, but the 8600gt said that it ran on 300 Watts.
I took that out and bought a Corsair 430W, but it still acts the same. I would imagine the 8500GT probably also needs a 300W because the 8600GT it better and only needs that much...

When it starts acting weird it is also totally random. It does not happen after a certain period of time, or when I do a certain thing. Sometimes it can go a day without problems, and other times it wouldn't even last as long as it takes to boot up the machine fully. And once it starts acting up, rebooting doesnt help. I have to physically remove the card.

#4 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:29 PM

Strange.

What I meant to say is, the fan works. Which it sounds like it does.

You purchased a 430W PSU. The machine says it requires "300 Watts". What that means varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some will indicate you need "X wattage PSU or higher" -- this is to mean that they've tested that wattage on that PSU. This does NOT account for the other parts in your computer. You may have other things such as a high-wattage CPU that makes it so you need even more watts in your PSU. ... Others will indicate "This card consumes Y watts" -- that's a more useful indicator, as you can combine it with others to get an estimate of your power needs.

You can google for "Antec Power Supply Calculator" and from there use the drop-down boxes to select your hardware components. This combined together will give you a wattage as a minimum, it's recommended to go a little higher than that for expansion purposes, but too much higher is no real return.

To be honest?
It sounds like a bad card.
Have you had other video cards in the exact same slot? Have they had significant problems?

I've purchased an 8500GT before, actually using it in an older XP machine with a 3 GHz Intel Celeron in it - thing works smooth. PSU in the machine is a 430 I think. I forget. Trust the calculator.

On the topic of buying computer hardware from others: Check the label. Don't trust anything they tell you, look at the label. If they don't want you to, don't buy it.
I learned that lesson the hard way many years ago, purchasing what I thought was a better-quality nVidia card, and ending up with a low-quality 3dfx card, back when 3dfx meant something. I didn't know ANYTHING about cards, but I'd have known the difference between nVidia and 3dfx on the sticker.

But since he told you one thing and gave you another, I wouldn't put it past to have sold you a bad card.
If you paypal'd for it, and it was very recent, you can chargeback. Depends on how bad you feel about this or whether the person will work with you.

#5 XuzI

XuzI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:18 PM

Yeah, it was over craigslist. I made him "promise" me it worked (which doesn't mean crud anymore I guess). He did then when I asked for my money back he told me that he didn't guarantee anything and that it works fine and to stop talking to him.
I searched and couldn't find the antec calculator, but I found another website. I put everything down and it said 293Watt required.

One question to clear EVERYTHING up for me. Can/do drivers ruin the hardware? Unrepairable ruin the hardware to not work?

Edit: Yes, I do have a different card in it. It is a Radeon HD 3450. Works fine besides I think the fan might be getting bad, but nothing that effects how well it works. I am currently using it 100% now because I can't go too long on the 8500gt.

Edited by XuzI, 13 October 2011 - 08:20 PM.

#6 XuzI

XuzI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:42 PM

Update: I took the heatsink off and noticed that the thermal paste was gone...

I cleaned it all off, put new stuff on and now it works great!

#7 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:35 PM

Update: I took the heatsink off and noticed that the thermal paste was gone...

I cleaned it all off, put new stuff on and now it works great!

WOW. I mean... WOW.
Really didn't see that coming.
That is ingenious thinking, well-done and bravo sir.

:)

EDIT: I was wrong on the name. They've changed it, or at least taken Antec's name off of it. It's actually now known as the eXtreme P.S.C., located:
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Best site I've ever used.

Edited by Nicholas Basso, 14 October 2011 - 07:39 PM.

#8 XuzI

XuzI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:18 AM

Bad news. It started acting up again. Worked for the longest time then it started running at 151F (67C). Then it artifacted and wouldn't fix again. Back to my old graphics card once again.

Thanks though ;)

Also, that is the website I used. Thanks.

Edit: Sorry, by gone I ment that it was well overused. Was rock hard around the edges and like water in the middle (no substance what-so-ever).

Didn't mean there wasn't any on it, even know thats what I made it sound like!

Edited by XuzI, 15 October 2011 - 04:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users