Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed to query TCP/IP settings-- no internet after clearing rootkit

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Larry_R_B

Larry_R_B

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:21 PM

Win XP SP2

I had a rootkit infection that got cleared with combofix but now, for the life of me, I can't get past that pesky "Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection" when trying to status my ethernet connection. I have no IP details listed on the support tab and this message comes up when you hit "Repair"

I've been scouring the forums trying everything I can to resurrect the local area Connection. I've deleted the connections, rebooted, let them rebuild, deleted drivers, reinstalled the networking drivers from the Intel motherboard CD, etc. etc. I even found a registry mod that allows you to remove TCP/IP, which I did, rebooted, reinstalled it.. no change.

A couple of the items needed to be re-ticked when following the Microsoft troublehshooting instructions for 'disappearing network connection icons" which isn't really my problem.. it never disappears... it just doesn't work.

Any ideas while I still have a few follicles left?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Larry_R_B

Larry_R_B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:04 PM

OK, some feedback on the resolution to this issue:

My loss of internet connectivty was caused by a rootkit removal tool (TSSKiller) quarantining my c:\windows\system32\ipsec.sys file. If you don't have that file in that folder you'll experience the symptoms as described in my initial post in this thread.

Countless hours were spent removing the connection, rebooting, allowing windows to recreate it, removing/reinstalling stack components, etc. etc. following procedures found in this and other forums. None of these tricks restored the connection.

Hope this helps!

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:23 PM

Thanks for the update and info.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users