Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finding UNUSED dll's

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

I know i probably have MANY dll files from programs i dont have anymore and i would love to know HOW TO GET A LISTENING OF ALL DLL'S ON MY COMPUTER AND WHAT THEY ARE FOR!!

I used to have a program years ago that when you ran it,it listed ALL DLLs IN MEMORY (But for this to be accurate,you had to run EVERY PROGRAM YOU HAD!! (So that all dll's would be active)

Anyone know of a good program to check on DLLs,etc??

Edited by 4dude, 11 October 2011 - 01:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:47 AM

A DLL is a Dynamic Link Library that basically shares code between other programs.
In the case of Windows 98, the DLL files would get updated and modified through each version up to Service Pack 2.
Same is true with XP Vista and 7.

DLL files also get added, updated, modified, backed up etc depending on the software that is installed on a system.
Given that, they are machine specific.

You will find hundreds of DLL files on your system depending on the software that is installed. This would make it very difficult to create a comprehensive list of DLL's on your system. Remember that your system and another will be different.

I think unless you are having a specific problem with a DLL this is a classic case of if it aint broke dont fix it.

Also be leery of sites that purport to provide missing DLL files. Since this is the 98 forum I assume that is the OS you are running. These sites will have newer DLL files that will not work with 98.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 4dude

4dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:25 PM

Yes its always good to know which version of a file you have for sure! (Especially DLLs as you said as they are libraries)

#4 kbit

kbit

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:02 PM

i seem to remember a little program from anologeX {spelling is wrong maybe?} that shows dlls or something. sorry can`t be more accurate. and as eyesee says "I think unless you are having a specific problem with a DLL this is a classic case of if it aint broke dont fix it" as they hurt nothing and don`t really take up much room.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:26 PM

Is this it?
I know nothing about this program.

However, years ago there used to be a cable TV channel called TechTV. It was by far my favorite channel. It was owned by Paul Allen a founder of Microsoft and has not been on the air for many years now. I seem to remember Leo LaPorte mentioning AnalogX many times.

The link does say that it works with all versions of Windows from 95 to 7.
Again, I know nothing about this program so use at your own risk!.

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:33 AM

I have used Uninstall Manager 4.3 on my Win9x\ME machines for years it doesn't actually uninstall anything it just checks all files and folders to see which files and folders have been added once you install something. You can set it to ignore cookies and temporary internet files or any folder you choose.

If you want more info PM me?

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#7 4dude

4dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:12 AM

Is this it?

Yes i believe it is,merci beaucoup :)

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:21 PM

You are welcome!

Use at your own risk!

#9 4dude

4dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:59 AM

This program says I have 111 files out of my 641 DLL files that appear to be not used.......

http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/index.html#clnsys

Seems to scan the whole disk looking for DLLs (I think)

I just clicked EXIT w/o removing any for now........ I did see a few in the list I KNOW I DONT NEED!

Ssleay32.dll is one...... This looks to be the best to gather everything but I would love knowing HOW IT COMES TO A CONCLUSION THAT A FILE ISNT CALLED BY ANY PROGRAM?? (Unless it scans every EXE on your computer??)

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

Do you have any EA installed games?

#11 4dude

4dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

Nope,none ..... I think the SSL dll came when I had MIRC on here.. (I had SSL for when i connected to IRC servers))

Edited by 4dude, 08 February 2014 - 06:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users