Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Introducing myself

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JimJohnston

JimJohnston

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:23 PM

Hi.
From a first quick browse, my reaction is:
"Wow. This seems to be "the real thing".
I look forward to getting to know this forum better.

I am an old-timer. My first experience of a "main-frame" computer was in the late 1950s, at Douglas Aircraft, Long Beach.
They had a vacuum tube IBM 701. The line printer ran continuously with double lines of data, one in red, one in blue.
They had 2 701s running in parallel: if the two lines did not agree, that was indication of a computer error.
The first main-frame I wrote code for was an IBM 7042 (if I remember right): tranistorized, 32K 36-bit words, 3 index registers, etc.
I ended up being in charge of system maintenance for Douglas' own operating system: small kernel (~6K), layers of apps on tape.
Later, I supported the original EEG biofeedback pioneer (at UCSF), maintaining a real-time data acquisition system and writing a Fortran 4 interface, to support data acquisition and feedback -- on a DEC PDP-15. Later, similar stuff on early PCs.
Needless to say, I am far less than an expert on current technology, dropping out somewhat after writing a 256 channel data acquisition in C on a DOS PC with home-made millisecond interrupt handler, and later many apps in VB6 and MS Access.
Since I often need to run older biofeedback equipment, I use multi-boot systems (need for DOS is dying out, Win2000 & WinXP.)
I do not like modern Microsoft applications because their goal is to have a workspace cluttered with all the tools one could imagine, and they try to provide functionality for people who do not understand what they are doing, and leaving obstacles galore for those that want a simple, direct path to their tools.
I am still involved in biofeedback (EEG & autonomic).
Other interests: piano, classical music, first-person science, paranormal skills as a process of discovery, etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:32 PM

Hello and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

Be sure to check out the New User Orientation and the excellent Tutorials.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:08 AM

BC is a great place to keep current about computing. Thanks for joining and welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users