Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finding a DVD writer drive compatible to my computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Calum

Calum

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:31 PM

I had to replace my internal DVD writer drive because it simply didn't work anymore, but the drive that has been put into my computer in it's place is only a standard DVD drive that doesn't record/write. My DVD burning software doesn't recognise the drive. To buy a drive that writes, does it have to be the same make as my computer or can it be any make of drive as in the link here?...

My link

I have a Compaq Presario SR1519UK computer that runs on Windows XP. Any advice would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:59 PM

Any drive will do.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for your reply, Broni. I was worried a drive by a different manufacturer from my computer would be incompatible.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:17 PM

That won't be a problem.
All those drives for desktops have standard sizes and they'll work with any desktop computer.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:04 PM

I don't have any knowledge of processors, but I wanted to know whether this would be compatible.

My computer has an AMD Athlon 64 processor, but the DVD drive I want to buy has system requirements of "Pentium® III 1.0Ghz or faster (or equivalent) - Pentium® 4 2.0Ghz or faster (or equivalent)."

Can this DVD drive be used in my computer?

Edited by Calum, 11 October 2011 - 05:05 PM.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:11 PM

Yes. According to your computer specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00433467&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en&product=1101432 you have Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0 GHz

My Website

#7 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:35 PM

In System Properties, after 3200+ it is 994 MHz. Yet in System Information, it is 1989 MHz. But you're right, in your link, it is 2.00 GHz. Whether this has anything to do with it, I did increase the memory from 512MB to 1.12GB. It's just strange System Properties is 994 MHz rather than 2.00 GHz.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:38 PM

You'll be OK.

My Website

#9 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:39 PM

Thanks for your help again. It is much appreciated.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:46 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users