Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Producing Two Characters On Single Key Press

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 James Bond

James Bond

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Location:Non-exotic city of Leicester from the Land of Hope & Glory
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:01 PM

I rather doubted (but can't ignore the possiblity) if it's a hardware problem or not & am therefore posting my thread here instead of in a "Hardware" section.

Friend of mine called earlier saying every time he types in any key on the keyboard, be it be alphabetical key, numerical key, function key & whatnot, he get 2 letters appearing in his screen, for example type in "a" gives him "letter a AND letter c" & it happens only with few keys at certain times. This happens in all software i.e. Word, Internet, etc.

He tried restarting his PC but as soon as he types in his password in the welcome screen, he's experiencing the same problem & hence can't get his password typed correctly, making the system stopping him from getting into his Desktop/System.

A rather peculiar problem, I've never heard of & couldn't get much help from researching on Internet & wonder if this is a KNOWN problem & if so, how could it possibly get it sorted out.

1) Getting his keyboard work
2) Getting into the system first by breaking the password on the welcome screen, since EVEN when typing the password, he's getting TWO CHARACTERS when all he types is ONLY ONE.
Nope, I'm NOT God, but I'm British (which is the next best thing ;)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 07:14 PM

Odd, this problem looks familiar... :thumbsup:

As I said in that other forum, I think it's either a mucked up keyboard, or maybe the BIOS has gone bonkers, so try 1) different keyboard, 2) reset BIOS.

I'm assuming it's a PS2 keyboard and not USB?

Edited by Dngrsone, 25 January 2006 - 07:15 PM.

Posted Image

#3 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:32 PM

i would strongly think that its a hardware issue.....try switching to another keyboard first n see how.

Dosen matter if its USB or PS2 as there are adapters out there in the market to convert these ports. :thumbsup:
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:47 PM

It could possibly be something as simple as turning the keyboard over and tapping its bottom to dislodge dirt that may have fallen in.

It could also matter whether the keyboard was connected to a usb port or a ps2 port. Which ever way it is connected, try the other way using an adapter which probably came with the keyboard.

It could also possibly be a 2.4ghz portable phone placed too close to the keyboard if it's wireless. Also, if it's wireless try changing the batteries.

Edited by Enthusiast, 25 January 2006 - 10:50 PM.

#5 Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:03 AM

Dosen matter if its USB or PS2 as there are adapters out there in the market to convert these ports. :thumbsup:

It does if there is another USB device interfering with the keyboards operation. I know it isn't supposed to happen, but I've seen plenty of things that aren't supposed to happen do do just that.
Posted Image

#6 Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:55 PM

Update... it looks like his keyboard fixed itself, according to Bond's entry in the other forum... mayhaps it was water-intrusion or something...
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users