Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cnet bundled with viruses

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:07 PM

Today I was removing some viruses because I was infected and two of the trojans were the cnet installer so I did some reserch and came across this: http://hightechreality.com/2011/08/cnet-downloadcoms-installer-install-malware/ I'm very shocked and I may never trust cnet again
Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:24 PM

After speaking with firemaster1337, I tested this and found that their new downloaded contains offers for toolbars and other programs that can be considered adware. If you state that you do not want to install these, it will not install, but will in fact download these offers to your %Temp% folder regardless.

Crappy programming for not cleaning up the temp files after and even crappier offers to be putting in their downloads. This, in my opinion is just download.com looking to make more money by using the afterdownload.com service. Still I would not go as far as stating that the CNET downloader is installing viruses or trojans, when in fact nothing malicious is installed on your computer.

#3 lti

lti

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:09 PM

I hate these downloaders. They offer no advantages over simply linking directly to the file. Driver Guide uses a downloader as well and does not allow anyone to download the file directly. Even after registering, Driver Guide still gives you their downloader.

The official download link for Avast keeps alternating between linking to Download.com and downloading the installer directly from Avast's server. I can't recommend a program that is officially only available from a Web site that uses one of these downloaders. It can be downloaded from other sites, but the downloads may be out of date.

#4 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:51 PM

On my last CNET update, I saw the optional toolbar on the downloads and unchecked that. After reading this I won't be downloading from their site again, but is anything going to happen if I just use the account to scan and tell me when updates are needed? What I would do is then go direct to the vendor to get the update Much less convenient, but I am so opposed to the tricks described here that I would do that.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:32 AM

Cleaning out the temp files will remove any offers the pre-downloaded to your computer.

#6 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:59 PM

You know, this kind of thing drives me crazy. I used to use download.com and I had a lot of trust in them especially since MalwareBytes Corp and many other security firms use them instead of using their servers (very lazy settups if you ask me), but I quit trusting them when I used them to avoid having to give information (name, address, phone number and the like), to a company for a free version of their product. (it was an XMPP server from coversant based on the microsoft .net Framework). I couldn't figure out why the download kept getting blocked, but it turned out that it was coming from NOD32, and according to NOD, the XMPp server download hosted over on CNet was a variant of Win32/InstallCore.C. Reluctantly I went to the vender's site, information given and all, and got the file from there. There was a difference in both the file name (CNet's had a double exe extension on it), and the file size. CNet's was equal to 444 K while Coversant's (the legit one), was equal to 4857 K.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#7 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

Time to switch to softpedia

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

#8 Photoshop is a lie.